Warrior Cats RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yin-Yang Series: Surviving Highschool & Dragons

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Yin-Yang Series: Surviving Highschool & Dragons - Page 2 Empty Re: Yin-Yang Series: Surviving Highschool & Dragons

Post by Rain June 24th 2011, 9:32 pm

Chapter 23:
Mommy Dearest

"We'll head over to your place first."
I was already at the top of the rope, crouching in front of the secret hatch once underneath the display case with an ancient register atop it's surface. Colt was slowly making his way up, taking his sweet time climbing the rope that was nothing more than a three second delay for me. I had to fight against the urge to pull him up myself more than once to finally get moving. "Can't we go to your place first?
My mind didn't want to settle on Molly until the last possible second. I didn't want to face my mother. Not now, not ever.
"I don't have that kind of gas. You're place first, then mine." He stood up in front of me, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants, dirt smearing onto the jeans. I remember a time when he was faster than me at everything short of head on sprints. Now he was slower than a drunken whale full of lead. "Who's been training you?" I asked, meeting his gaze.
"That Cody guy, remember the one in the Elder's room? That one."
Him? He had Cody training him? Well, I guess not everybody could be as good as Jasmine.
I shrugged. "His training sucks."
Constantine grew defensive in a millisecond, he rounded on me with narrowed green eyes, his muscles tensing audibly underneath his tanned skin. "How you figure?"
I went to work pushing the display case back into place, simply walking past him without a care in the world. I'd never let him know he proved a threat to me. He was stronger and smarter, so I had to make up for it in speed. Groaning, I replied to him. "He's teaching you to fight, but he's not working on anything else. I'm stronger and faster because I've worked on them with Jasmine, and because of that, I have greater stamina than you. In a real fight, I would win."
He came over to help, shoving the desk the final three inches. "That's not what happened last night," he was grinning, though his words came out in a series of grunts. I stuck my tongue out at him, making him laugh. "I'll keep in in mind," he said, catching his breath in a single inhale.
I shrugged my sore shoulder blades back into place and pushed through the panel that led to the way out. It cracked beneath me before falling off the wall all together. I stood there, staring at it. Cat's Den was falling apart.
"Forget it, I doubt we'll be coming back after today." Colt's had on my shoulder made my shocked face simmer down to a calm, controlled expression. "If you say so."
"I do."
I waltzed out, my still-damp clothes clinging stubbornly to my body. I saw the red Chevy and I turned toward him, "Can I drive?"
He laughed outright, taking it as a huge joke. "No way! You couldn't drive a car in a racing game."
I sighed and we both got into the truck. Colt pulled out his secret key from out of the visor above his seat and tucked it into the ignition. It stalled on the first go. He gave me a nervous grin at my worried glance at the wheel. "Come on," he encouraged the engine, and tried the key again. It finally gave in and the engine roared into life, the truck rumbling in reply.
"Nothin' to worry about," he said, more to himself than to m.
He pulled out into the next-to-nothing traffic that seemed to always cling to the highway even at three in the morning, just like now. I had roughly two blocks to ather my courage and head into a battle of whits. Those weak of heart wouldn't make it.
Easing to a stop, I found myself sitting in a driveway, in a red Chevy Blazer. I pulled on teh handle and the door fell open far too easily.
Yet again, Colt laid his hand on my shoulder, sending chills of unexpected pleasure down my spine. "You got back up if you need it."
Back up. I could use him for strength, and courage. If I had no one to prove, odds are I'd probably wimp out. I wasn't brave. Not anymore. Just competitive and stubborn.
I shook my head, "I gotta do this alone." I shrugged off his warm hand and crouched to the window. We had waited until about three in the morning, when no one would be up. I could just swoop in, grab Molly, and go.
I listened hard and found nothing but soft snores. Nevertheless, I felt a menacing gaze burning into my skin, making the hairs on my neck rise, giving me the goosebumps all over my arms. My old house seemed more haunted than welcoming.
A shaky breath calmed my nerves slightly, giving me enough courage to shove the window I stayed beneath open. Crawling into the darkness, it took my eyes a few moments to adjust to the dark blue that allowed sight in the black night.
I walked slowly inot the hall, taking a moment to see that mother's door was shut.
A low growl vibrated through the still, heavy air into my ears.
Two menacing eyes glowed silver in the darkness, amber mingling within the orbs of light. They narrowed, staring at me with a fierce sense of anger from within my old room.
"Mo-" I took a breath to stop myself from studdering. "Molly?" My voice was still shaky, scared beyond belief.
A massive black paw filled with long obsidian claws left the door, jaws filled with pearled white fangs opened to let out another growl. I started to back up, and the thing lunged at me, pinning me hard against the tiled floor, a loud snarl filling my ears like booming thunder. It had two extremly large canines hanging down from it's jaw, like a walrus's, only better proportioned. More like a saber-tooth tiger.
I felt claws brush across my throat, and I had a moment to translate that as a sign of toying with me. I was little more than a game to this massive beast. I felt hopeless. Where was Colt? If I screamed would he hear me? Would he get here in time?
I took a deep breath in, ready to relase the loudest scream I'd ever done.
A light flickered on and a gasp followed immediately after.
"Avira!"
My mom.
"Get off, get off!" She hit the beast a few times with weak pats from her bare hands on it's shoulder and it growled, then strolled off me without nothing more than a heavy feeling of agitation.
She helped me up while the thing sat down, lashing it' tail as it crouched into a battle stance. He growled at us, ears flattened against his massive head. "You shouldn't have raised such an inbecile," it hissed at my mother.
Barbara glared at it, "She's smarter than you could ever be."
It laughed in reply. Was I dreaming this or was it really talking? I couldn't tell anymore. My dreams were too real to set apart from the real world. It stood up, right in front of me as if I were a sketch artist about to paint a portrait of it. It had a royal stance to it, and I couldn't help admiring all that power, all it's grace.
"Do you know who I am?" It's voice was taunting, curious.
"Not my cat?"
It frowned, growling. "Wrong, you halfwit. I am your precious pet. But think now, little one. Who am I?"
My mother stood behind me, her prescence feeding me support. If she could stand up to it, then I knew I could. I'd faced much more than an overgrown kitten with a bad temper. I felt strong again. Brave. "My Guardian." I stood up as tall as I could, feeling my muscles tensing as I estimated a good vantage point if a fight broke out. It's neck was wide open, not even it's fangs guarding it. I could stradle it's back and choke it out, or snap it's neck. That'd be even fast.
He flashed a grin full of sharp fangs. "At a girl."
But my mind found itself lost. "No, that's not right. Molly was is my Guardian. Not some black furball."
He growled, his claws scratching linoleum.
And then I saw it. His tail was shrinking.
He was shrinking.
He didn't stop either, not until he was Molly's size, his jet-black fur turning a rich golden brown. Black anklet markings stood out on each forepaw, a strange black marking around his neck. Just like Molly's.
"My name is Jodian," he started in a low snarl, small, but still proud, "And I'm a tom."
I whipped around at my mom, "Why didn't you tell me?"
"You seemed content with the name Molly." She grinned sheepishly at me, the way she did when she was caught in a lie.
I remembered how I ended up in Mirda in the first place and flipped.
I jumped out of her reach and grabbed the cat, who bit down hard on my arm in protest, making me call out in a flash of fiery pain.
"Avira, wait!" I dodged her again, heading for the door.
Colt burst in at the wrong moment, getting in my way.
"Move!" I hoped my hurried cry would tell him of the urgency the current situation held.
He hooked his hand into the crook of my arm, the one without the angry cat, and pulled me behind him, not letting me go.
"Leave her alone," he growled at my mother.
My mother struggled a smile, her eyes nervous. "Constantine, I just want to talk to her. Please let her talk to me. I've missed her so much."
My heart pounding, I dropped the cat, tearing more of my flesh as he didn't let his jaws let go quite at the right time. I ignored the pain, only wincing once. I pushed Colt gently out of the way, my hand brushing down his arm as I walked by to show him I was willing to talk. He let me go, thankfully.
"About what," I started, not sure if I was angry, scared, or confused. "About my principal? Or about your job?"
She sighed, "Please sit down. I've got far more to explain to you than taht. Constantine, you might as well join us."
Barbara sat down, staring at her folded hands while we sat down. She looked up, about to talk when she actually got a look at us. She laughed, "You two are disasters. Avira, go take a shower. Constantine, you can talk with me until she's done."
There was something in her eyes that made his face go ashen, but I tapped his elbow. All he had to do was call and I'd come and help him, though I found the odds slim.
In the bathroom, I found the shower and turned it on full blast.
The water felt great, so hot it stinged my skin, making me cringe with possibly sinful pleasure. I washed up, feeling as crisp as a newly printed dollar bill. Letting the water run over me like a luxorious silk, I didn't get out until the hot water began to ebb into cold.
I was patting myself dry when I heard, "She's not as strong as she looks. . ." It was my mom talking, in a low whisper. Good thing I didn't tell either of them about my new enhanced hearing.
I kept going about my business, doing my best to ignore their talking by wrapping up in a towel to get some fresh clothes from my room.
I couldn't hear anything, suddenly, and grew curious, zoning in on their conversation.
"But if you ever hurt her. . ." My mother's voice was an extremly low growl.
"I won't, trust me," I heard Colt cut her off, his voice lower and more serious than hers.
They couldn't be talking about me. I wasn't weak, and Colt couldn't hurt me. It was vice versa that he had to worry about.
I strolled out, pulling the door open, and they both looked at me simotaneously. Mom was smiling, and Colt raised his eyebrows in a stare of surpsrise and I flashed him a grin.
My mom saw my eyes meet his and she turned to smack him upside the head. I laughed and continued to my room.
Black jeans, now baggy on me, a black v-neck tee, and some black ankle socks was my outfit for the day. I dressed and left again for the bathroom. I picked up my hoodie and threw everything else in the hamper. Brushing my hair quickly, I ventured back to Mom and Colt.
"What I miss?"
Mom smiled at me, "Nothing. Constantine, your up Dear. Don't forget to wash behind your ears."
Constantine managed to smirk back weakly and stood up.
"It's all cold. Sorry." I shrugged at him, frowning.
"I could use a cold shower," he replied, looking straight ahead like a zombie.
Once the door clicked shut, I smiled at Barbara. "Whatch ya do to him?"
"Nothing important. Sit down, we have to talk."
I sat, face grim.
"Before I start, I want you to know I love you more than anything in this world. I would never do anything to hurt you."
"Yeah, sure. Just tell what you gotta, will ya?" As usual, I was not up for the mother crap she was dishing out.
She nodded, sitting back. After a deep breath, she finally spoke. "I'm not your mother."

ooc: this story/fanfic/whateveryouwannacallit ever starts getting gay, let me know so I can stop wasting my time.
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Yin-Yang Series: Surviving Highschool & Dragons - Page 2 Empty Re: Yin-Yang Series: Surviving Highschool & Dragons

Post by Rain July 5th 2011, 10:39 am

Chapter 24:
Past Relearned

My jaw dropped, and my blood boiled. "What do you mean you're not my mother?"
She frowned, "I'm not your birth mother, Avira."
Before I could flip out, she forced out more words to fill my ears. "I'm assuming you've already been to that other place, the place you came from, seeing that you're so skinny. You were sent to me by them. A gift almost, a child I couldn't have." Barbara wouldn't meet my eyes. I knew she was being honest.
"Who gave me to you?"
She waved her hand, almost dismissing the question. "Some old man."
At that moment, she smiled, looking up to the ceiling. "I remember you were in this little basket, in blue blanket. Jodian was just a little kitten." Hearing his name, he growled underneath Barbara's chair. "Every time I tried to get him off you, either you cried or he growled." She smiled, reminising as a tear ran down her cheek.
"Ms. O'Reily, did Avira have a necklace with her?"
I nearly jumped out of my seat seeing Colt stand beside me, not making a single sound as if he were a ghost. Or worse, a stalker. He was already in his clothes, still fixing his t-shirt collar. What a creep.
"A necklace?" She seemed to confused.
"Like this one," he replied, holding up his citrine birthstone on the end of it's string.
She shook her head and my hope sank.
"Not like yours. Her's isn't yellow."
My vision snapped right back open, "Mom, I need it." I cringed, still taking in the shock of not having a real mother.
She nodded, tapping my knee. "I'll get it, stay here."
As she disapeared into her room, I looked over at Colt. "Why don't I have it now?"
His gaze was serious and grim, "Don't know. But I want to find out."
I frowned, looking down at my knees, thinking. Citrine was either yellow or orange, so odds were it was orange. I hated orange.
The cat looked up at us, "Idiots."
He had a deep british accent. I kept thinking maybe I was imagining things, but his lips were moving, pronouncing every syllable I heard. It was enough prove to convince me of a talking, shape-shifting bobcat.
I narrowed my eyes at him, about to shoot a threat involving fur hats at him when a yawn broke my concentration.
Looking up at the yawner, I found Mr. Roy standing in the doorway of my mother's room.
I jumped to my feet, adrenaline burning through my blood. "You," I snarled at him.
He smiled at me, a little nervous with my violent disposition, but attempting to ignore it. "Hey there."
I had him pinned against the wall, my hand tight on his throat before I could count to three. Rage seared my brain, telling me to push harder and harder to close the airway within my grasp. "What the fuck are you doing in my house?" My nose almost touched his, our eyes locked. His radiating fear hidden within brave pride, mine giving off waves of hate and furious rage.
"Don't kill him." Colt warned me. He was right, we didn't need a murder on our hands. The last thing I wanted to deal with was police.
But I ignored him. This was one murder I was goin' to enjoy.
"What are you doing?" My mother came out, shrieking at the top of her lungs. "Get off! You don't understand!" Tears filled her eyes again, and it took both Constantine and my mother to pull me off.
The man hit the floor as soon as I finally let him go. He gasped, his face red and sweaty, coughing as he sucked in fresh air. "You've definitely gotten stronger," he croaked, eyes glued to the floor.
My mother pulled me aside, face distorted with seething anger. "Sit down."
I made a silent snarl, fighting the urge to punch her dead in her nose. She forced me into a sit on the stool behind me. "Josh, take it off," she said gravely.
He looked at her, sitting against the wall he collasped at. "You sure?" His face questioned her, but at her glare, he nodded. "Alright," he sighed, with a hidden smile playing along the frown upon his face.
Standing up, he took a deep breath and reached up to his balding head, pulling off the skin with sickly snapping sounds coming from his skull.
Underneath, a whole head of short black hair shot up, and the man itched his scalp.
I was awestruck, my jaw dropping. The same thought ran through my head over and over again: What the hell?
Mr. Roy grinned, and something seemed familiar about his face. I felt as if I'd seen him before, that same hair, the same hazel eyes looking at me with an old fondness. He reached for his fat belly, and before he even did it, I realized it was a fat-suit that actors sometimes used. He lifted it off his fit, well-muscled body, shocking me through and through.
Who was this guy?
And then it hit me like a speeding city bus, my memory shifting back into place like a missing puzzle piece found under the couch hidden in a dust bunny.
Dad.
I tackled him, trapping him in a huge hug that he easily returned, as tight as I could. Tears streamed down my cheeks and he laughed outright.
My dad. The man who'd abandoned me in my hour of need, who'd forgotten of my existence for reasons unknown, was here, in my very arms. But why? What was the point? Was Barbara a fool for letting him back in her heart. Did that make me just plain stupid?
I looked up at him, meeting his smiling face, and placed a well-aimed punch in the center of his right cheek.
He fell again, and I clenched my hands. "That's for leaving me and Mom!"
Colt pulled me back, being far too quiet, hiding laughter almost too much for him to hold in. He sat me down like a toddler and held my shoulders so I couldn't get up again. What an asshole! I glared at my father, a silent rage begging to be unleashed. "He's not your dad, Avi," Colt whispered in my ear, reminding me of a painful truth.
I sighed, looking down. I had no parents. Not a one. I probably had no family, too. So I was an orphan. Great. I wasn't sure whether to be happy or lie down and bawl my eyes out.
I've had enough crying to last a lifetime. God, wasn't that the truth.
Looking up to see Barbara helping her lover up, she growled at me. "Damn it, Avira! What the hell is wrong with you?"
I snarled at her, and Josh picked himself up, struggling to his feet with a newly aquired puffy cheek all pretty in pink. "Man," he sighed, half laughing. "What did you tell her?" He was rubbing his cheek, helping himself to a seat.
Her face was red, a new sense of embarassment kicking in. "That you left me for some blonde and had two boys."
He frowned, reaching up again to his tender cheek. "Go figure."
Barbara was on his shoulders, looking at me. She was partly still pretty pissed at me, but the other half was trying to break through that it seemed. "Like I said before, there's a lot I haven't told you."
I rolled my eyes, seeing her cringe with an urge to strangle me as I said: "No shit."
She forced a smile. "First off, as you already know, Molly isn't a girl, and his name isn't Molly."
"And the fact that he can change into some monster-thing doesn't freak you out?"
The woman shrugged, "Guess I don't scare that easily. But I will be honest, today was the first time I've heard him talk."
The For-The-Moment-Bobcat hopped onto the table, his sleek body rippling with muscles underneath a beautiful golden brown pelt. "I am obviously your Guardian, despite what you think of me. And for the time being, I'm stuck with you."
"The feeling's mutual." I felt my muscles tense and not all the black beasts in the world could scare me out of killing him. The pressure on my shoulders tightened and I resisted the urge to break a few of Constantine's bones.
"Yes, well if you must adress me, I am Jodian. Not your pathetic little Molly." He growled at me, making my blood boil ferociously.
"Anyway," my ex-mother jumped back in, face nervous with the tension in the room. Seemed like everyone in the room was a target of mine. "I'm not your mother, and this is not your father."
I felt my hands clench with rage. Today just wasn't my day. "I was given to you by Josh. He had found out that it was impossible for me to have a child of my own, and came back with you. A few days later another man came by, said I should change a few minor details. Your birthday, last name, things like that. Said if I ever told anyone where you'd come from, who you really were, I'd loose you forever. I didn't argue."
"So the mother and father thing you two pulled, that was just a front?" Colt was a little tight on my shoulders, his grip shooting pain through my veins.
Barbara smiled, shaking her head quick. "No. No, never. I love Josh, and we wanted to raise her as our own child. She was our little girl."
"Only problem was, a father wasn't part of the deal. I was only supposed to watch your progress, make sure you didn't steer yourself toward the wrong path," Josh looked over at me. "It wasn't easy, we almost lost you."
I wasn't really taking in my history. I honestly didn't care about their little drama anymore. Guess I got too selfish to care, or even try to. What was concerning me most was who this guy was. Or my name? Birthday? Why'd I need that changed? What was the point? Why did I need to be in hiding?
"Did that guy tell you his name?"
Barbara frowned, shaking her head. "Sorry, Sweetie. We have no idea who he was."
I cringed at Sweetie, but kept going. "What'd he look like? Think back, I need to know."
She found herself looking at the ceiling, recalling any details she could pull out of her dull mind. "He.. he had strange eyes. They were brown, with red rimmed around the irises. And he had this... little red.... lizard on his shoulder. The man... he looked old."
I glared at the floor. Christian.
My body went into hyper-drive, standing up so fast not even Colt had the power to keep me down. "Time to go."
Colt looked at me, "Wait, Avira. A few minutes, then we can go."
I ignored him, charging out the house. That bastard. I was gonna kill him! I could feel blood roaring in my veins, my mind begging for blood. I was going to make that old geizer wish he was never born, never even thought of.
I hopped into the Chevy, my hands wrapping around the keys as I sat into the driver's seat. The ignition flared, as if it were fired up by my energy, engine roaring into life like a hot rod. I looked around, how'd you pull this thing out of park? My eyes found a stick, the little arrow next to it pointing to a big green P. I pulled hard on it, figuring D for drive.
Slamming my foot onto the gas, my eyes bugged as the truck leaped forward, wheels screeching onto dry dirt and grit. I stopped, trying the other pedal for the brake. I surged forward, my head hitting the glass, making it throb with annoyance. I pulled my seatbelt on, though I hated the pointless things, and looked again at the label. P,N,D, 1, 2, R. R looked promising. 'R' for reverse, right?
Colt came running out, arms flailing. I pulled into reverse, "Wait! Hold on!"
I forced myself to stop. If I left now, I could easily get back with the tunnel, without worrying about Colt drowning and I wouldn't have to bring that stuck-up furball.
He opened my door before I could do anything. "Avira, get out." He was panting, but I could see the anger in his eyes.
I snarled at him, "Get out of my way."
His hand went onto my wrist, practically breaking the bone. "Get. Out."
My free hand found his, "Get. Off."
Constantine forced a shaky breath, rage coming out in vibrant emotion. "Before you do something stupid, Avira. Let me drive."
I felt a fierce urge to punch him and get it over with, my heart begging to fight him for practice. My mind slapped me across the face, knowing I'd need him to drive anywhere if I wanted to live.
"Before you get yourself into something you can't finish," Colt added, his grip quite convincing.
I groaned out loud, hating the fact that I actually depended on someone. Unbuckling the belt, I forced myself to let go of the wheel and hop into the other seat. "I hate you."
Colt ignored me, climbing into the truck. He pulled his belt on, looking over at me before he started driving. "Put your belt on."
I glared at him, my mood not getting any better. "Fuck you," I replied, pure hatred rolling off my tongue.
"Put it on," he snarled back at me, a redish color coming into his cheeks.
"No!"
He reached over me, pulling the belt out himself, attempting to put it snap the buckle into it's latch. I pulled on his arm and drew it toward me, biting his flesh as hard as my jaws would allow.
He cried out, face written in pain. He pulled away, or at least tried to, but I bit harder, making only more pain if he tried to get out of my grip.
"Let go!" He wouldn't hit me, couldn't do it. I could feel it in the way his arm was tightened up with muscle, wanting to strike me off, but not daring too. He didn't have the heart.
I let go, wiping what little blood that was on my face onto my shirt, almost smiling at the fact I drew scarlet liquid.
He grasped his arm, looking down to see a deep wound on his arm. Not deep enough to injure anything serious, but definitely painful. He looked over at me, every being wanting to kill me right then and there. I met his eyes, an angry snarl written up on my face. I wanted to do the same to him.
"Damn it." He forced a sigh and put his good arm on the wheel, finally driving. We were on the road, speeding down the highway at about ninety-five on a fifty-five. If we were caught, we were screwed.
Niether of us said anything, none of us daring to speak in case another fight broke out. I wanted a fight, a real good one. Constantine was a good possibility. Strong, fit, definitely capable of kicking ass three times as tough as him, but I knew he would fight me. That's what I hated most, what made me want to kill him more. Did he really think he was too good to fight me?
All I wanted was a little revenge. No one would get hurt too bad, would they? I practically laughed out loud. By the time I was done with my rampage, Christian would be dead and my name would be soiled for the rest of my life. Well, whatever my name really was.
I looked over at Colt, a moment of longing peeking through all the furious anger. I hoped I'd always be Avi, his vixen.
He caught my glance and his head swiveled with question, I replied with another snarl and turned back to my window. What an idiot I was. I didn't need anyone. So what if I was hated? I'd always been hated. It wouldn't be anything new.
Watching the highway, I caught a glipse of a shadow, moving fast, but figured it was the truck and shut my eyes for a bit.

I was surrounded. Everyone was staring at me. People, gathered together in groups, each and every one carrying some sort of weapon. At least one item of death. Even kids glared at me with murderous hate. I stood tall, though I was shivering with fear inside. I felt a shift movement behind me, but I refused to look. I didn't care who was with me. This was about me, about the world. I had to face it.
A man cried out, heavy in furred clothes, bulking with muscle. A snarling beast stood beside him, a gray winged monster.
Griffin. That I remembered.
He let out a cry and archers stepped forward, only a pace behind the burly man. Each person armed with sleek bows decorated with bones and rare jewels, feathers and furs. At the string of each, a deadly arrow with a fiery tip. At once they released, and the volley flew through the air.
I dodged out of the way. Or at least I tried to. I ran about five feet and something in the air caught my attention. Arrows were shoved this way and that, falling dead to the earth. A thud landed on the ground and I saw a great silver spotted Griffin, it's eyes a wolf's gold.
It's night-colored plume called to me, and I stared at it in awe, fear grasping my heart. How many times was I going to stare at something before I realized it was there to kill me?
Something knocked me down, my world shifting. I fell hard onto the dirt, a rock shoving it's way to my side, making me call out in pain. I looked to see what had pinned me to the battleground and met brown eyes, a lizard's maw in my face, it's grimacing face curled into a snarl of pleasure. Before I had a chance to react, I was already dead.

"Avira. Avira. Get up." My shoulders shook and my flew open to Constantine's worried gaze, misty with tears.
I felt the same fear, the same pain from the sleeping world. .....But the pain was real. I looked down, only to be answered with burning agony. "Don't move!"
I didn't, but the sickening warmth of blood on my skin made me want to jump out of my own body. What had happened? How'd I get like this? We were just driving!
Struggling to look, I found I was still in the passenger's seat, stuck to the seat in sweat and blood. What was hurting so much?
I tried to follow the blood trail to somewhere, but it didn't seem to lead to anywhere specific enough.
Colt came racing back, his heart sprinting in my ears. I could practically feel the fear, the terror racing through his body. "What is it?What happened?" Why was my voice so calm?
"Don't move, just stay right there."
I tried to let out a groan, but whatever had happened ceased the noise and sent me a warning wave of pain. Don't do that again.
He took out a bloodied cloth, the same he used for my nose before all this hell had happened. He shoved it hard against the side of my neck and I yelled out. "Damn it!" My breath quickened and I had to beg my hands not to do anything stupid. It was my neck, something had happened to my neck.
"How did this happen? I don't get it." Colt had only muttered it, but I had heard him crystal clear.
"My nightmare, it had to be my dream." I had to at least try to help him figure it out. He hated not knowing things.
"No, that's impossible. Even you know that. Dreams don't work that way." His voice was too desperate to consider the option. I fought the urge to scream back at him, or just remain silent. Should I honestly try to convince him? I didn't even know what was going on, how these things were happening to me. Why the hell did it have to happen to me? Why not some other failure kid?
"You got any better ideas?"
He frowned, looking at me for only a moment, unsure. He took off the cotton white tee he had on and tore the bottom part of it to provide a soft bandage. He wrapped it around my neck, tying it loose, but tight at the same time. He definitely was a doctor.
"It's okay, I'll be fine. Let me up." I didn't want to play patient anymore, I was getting sick of waiting.
"Please Avira, you'll die if you keep doing this to yourself." He had his hands on my shoulders as I attempted to get up. I grabbed his wrist and pulled it off my shoulder, "You're only making the effort harder."
He forgot his calm, gentle composure. His worry was still there, but the anger took over. He blew me off, turning around and heading up the road, leaving me to struggle out of the blood-soaked leather seat of the red Chevy. My strength was pouring out my neck in sticky scarlet warmth, and I could feel my legs about to give way, reduced to nothing but jelly.
I leaned up against the truck, my breath shallow and quick. My neck was burning furiously, keeping me awake at least.
White spots fluttered in my vision and I took a weak step, then another, my feet dragging along the gravel road. I hate my life.
I pushed the cloth harder against my neck, breathing in deep. I had to get oxygen into my brain. So I had to breathe more, and keep the blood from pouring out my neck. So I had to use this stupid rag, and cause some more pain.
Shoving it harder still into my wound, I winced, hissing in air through my teeth, and stepped forward yet again. I could lift up my leg, didn't have to drag my foot against the ground. I could walk, but just barely.
I found my slow pace agonizingly boring. I felt like I was loosing a race, and up ahead in the distance, Colt was winning.
I couldn't do this. There was no way this was going to work. I had to swallow my pride, for this at least. "Constantine!" My voice was garbled and choked, but he stopped anyway, whipping back around.
He glared at me, mouth tight in a fine line of anger. Even his hands were in fists, and I felt my heart pound a little harder. If he came at me now, there was no way I'd be able to fight back. He'd win and I'd die. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I still had Christian to take care of. That prick was gonna get what's coming to him even if I was crawling to him.
"Help," I croaked, not even past the truck yet. I'd reached the end of the bumper, the back of the truck, which I now leaned against helplessly.
His face fell to the road, emotion hidden from my keen eye. Or maybe it was because everything was beginning to turn fuzzy and dim.
At the last few strides, I struggled to reopen my eyes from a tempting blink to just let them stay shut, as he looked up. I heard it before I saw it. The shift of air, screaming like a stream-lined jet.
His fist flew from his side, cracking against my jaw, shock rippling along my cheek. My face whipped sideways and black waves lapped at my brain as I felt gravity take me.

The flames were dancing along my stomach, wavering in the darkness, flecks of light radiating over the strange and hostile faces surrounding me. No bodies, just floating heads. Some had bones pierced through their noses, or ears. Some had whole skull masks covering their sharp cheekbones, but not their dark, hollow eyes.
Pain rippled along my body, making me groan in pain. I tried to stifle the cries, but I couldn't help it. I was on fire! My wrists felt clamped, and my ankles were twiring around on a stick, tied up to some sort of rotisserie. I was being roasted. Today, I was over for dinner. Take a wild stab at what was for the main course.
But I knew it was a dream. I always knew. It was something in the back of my mind, a tiny voice screaming in my ears, telling me not to be so blind, so stupid. Of course it was a dream. You didn't just open your eyes to a fire on your stomach, surrounded by native cannibals. That sort of thing almost never happened. But then again, I could be lucky enough to be that small percent. Who knew?
I clamped my eyes shut, shutting out the pain, the calls of glee, engulfing myself in dark gray behind closed lids. Wake up. Get up, it's a dream. It's not real. There's no fire. Wake up, Avira.

Blinking my eyes open, I turned my head with only a dull ache answering from my neck. Where were the indians? The fire? What about my death?
"You're up."
The voice made my cringe inside, goose bumps slid down my arm. My jaw still ached with the pain I'd received. I glared at him, a fierce sense of hostility rising in my cheeks. I'd defend myself if I had to, I could do it now. He couldn't take me now. He'd be rendered helpless, then he'd have to be for my mercy. He'd be S.O.L., too. I don't believe in mercy.
"Now before you totally loose it, listen. I only punched you because you heal faster when you're sleeping."
What a load of crap!
"Oh gee, thanks for the beauty sleep." My voice was hard, but with a slight sign of weakness. Maybe it was the croak in my throat. Maybe not.
Constantine frowned. "I'm sorry?" He was unsure if that would cut it, but hopeful. He was wrong.
I poked at my wound, skin and scab already covering it. But it hurt bad on the inside, like muscle was literally ripped and shredding, then shoved back into my neck. I was still pretty confused at how it had happened. But frankly, with my nightmares posing as my only answer, I didn't want to know.
Sitting up, I shoved my body up against a tree, finding the bark burn against my skin with pleasure. I found a campfire sitting right in front of me, a warm, thin coat covering my body. Colt's coat. I shuddered, part pleasure, part disgust. Why was I so torn when it came to him?
Later subject. Focus, kid. I centered my brain again, falling back onto Constantine's face. He was still frowning, seeing me sit up made every muscle in his arms tense, prepared to help me out if I needed it. I didn't want it.
I let out a short gasp, gathering some fresh oxygen in my hungry lungs. My stomach replied the same way, a wave of growls striking across my abdomen. I felt like punching my gut, just to get it to shut up.
"Hungry? I found food," Colt held out a fresh apple, red and shiny against the bright flames. Even it's leaf was green, hanging on with all it still had left to the stem, begging for mercy.
I gulped, wishing I wasn't so hungry, so thirsty, so eager for any sort of substance offered. I hated feeling like a broken pup, needing anything that could be used as nutrients. "Not a bit."
He shrugged, biting through it's hard flesh with a crisp crunch. Damn.
I averted my gaze, looking back down at the coat. Time to loose luxury. My hands gripped it far tighter than I wanted, my nails biting with softened pain because of the coat in my palms. I shoved it into a loose ball and tossed it over at Colt, missing the fire by an inch. That would have been funny.
"You know, I've always wondered why you were like this." Colt didn't look at me, his eyes were too focused on the fruit in his palm, coat easily caught in the other hand with skilled reflexes.
"Like what?" I felt a wave of pain pound through my skull as my head fell back onto the tree.
"Headstrong, stubborn. And overall, just so selfish." He really seemed to be enjoying this, in a dark, twisted way. Like he'd gone of the deep end, his cheese slipped off his cracker.
"But now I realized something. You're just a bitch. It's what you are and probably always will be." He chuckled, "I take that back. You will always be that way."
His head rose to the stars, the night sky stretching around us in the woods. We were by the road, I could tell. Maybe a half a mile away, not too far. He chose the only spot in the fields that held the thinnest amount of trees. "The only things you look for is pain, misery. That's what draws you, it's what you feed off of."
I growled at him, hurt inside, my stomach twisting into knots, but way too stubborn to admit it. "Take that back."
He looked at me, his face honest, sincere. Curious. "Is that why?"
"What?"
"You're so seductive. Irresistable. Did you do it on purpose?"
I rolled my eyes, groaning out loud. I did not have time for the this. Time nor the patience. "I'm not doing this now, Constantine. Let's go. What do we got left? Quarter of a mile?"
"And now you're avoiding it. Why Avira? You of all people love a good chance to lie. What's wrong? Conscious catching up to you?"
My jaw clenched harder against my skull, my brain leaning more and more toward the opportunity of a well-deserved brawl. "What's your issue, Jones? Gotta death wish?"
He didn't return my look, but I could tell he was tottering between anger and deep depression. Instead, he searched his pocket. "Take this before I throw it in the fire."
Throwing the object at me, I had to lean my head out of the way before it crushed my face in. He had a strong throwing arm, to say the least. Whatever he'd thrown at me hit hard against the bark, bouncing off onto the grass before me.
A jewel. It was some sort of jewel. Must be the one Barbara had tried to give me.
I couldn't make out the color, not with it lying on the ground. My hands brushed over it and my fingertips burned something new. I forced my hand to grip the jewel and picked it up, bringing it closer to my vision. It was black, black as night.
I gasped, fear jolting up my arm, making me shiver. I dropped it immediately.
Fear the Black Medallion.

Heart racing, I curled away from it, too scared, too chicken to even think about picking it up again. "It's a rock, you moron."
My instinct made me look up, meeting Constantine's glare beat for beat. I wanted my fists to fly over the fire and right into his jaw, but I couldn't do that. Instead, I found a reason to look at that rock, examine it for what ever it really was. I wasn't a coward. I could do it.
Picking it up with shaky hands, I looked at it hard. It was black, but it flashed with... blue. It's glare was a deep midnight blue. I felt metal on the back, cold and clean. Silver.
Flipping it over, I had to feel my eyes switch to night-mode in order to read the small font inscription. A twinge of a spark in my eye, that's all it was. Like a small jolt of electricity, only much smaller. Just barely felt, but definitely acknowledged.

Avira Levin Trinity
September 12

So was that supposed to be who I really was?
A small marking at the bottom of the inscription called out to me, and I had to look.
Three eclipses, each pointed away from each, overlapping in a weird symbol. "What's this?"
"You're birthstone."
I looked up at him, "No, idiot. This," I pointed to the symbol, and he had to look harder. I held it up, practically dropping it into the fire. That would suck, but I wouldn't mind loosing my identity again. I could make up my own. It'd be cool, too.
"A trinity sign? What's that doin' there?"
I shrugged, "I was askin' you."
He glared at me again, "I was talking to myself, Smartass."
"Oughta be more specific then," I shot back, eyes narrowing. Did I really ask for this? I wasn't that mean to him, was I?
He threw his apple at me, just clipping my shoulder, pain blossoming throughout the muscle. "What the fuck," I yelled at him, enraged.
Constantine stood up, "What? You wanna say something?"
I struggled to my feet, lightheaded and a little weak, but not too bad. "Why don't you come here and I'll tell you everything I need to tell ya!" My hands clenched into fists of rage, eager to find flesh to bury their knuckles into.
He stomped one step closer and a shadow popped out of the darkness, slipping from the night and pinning Constantine to the ground. "Colt!" I was already about to race over when I realized it was a giant black cat, the same that had attacked me this morning. "Get off him!"
Jodian didn't even pay attention to me, just glared at the man he had pinned against the loamy soil. It's ears were flattened against his skull, broad shoulders rippling with muscle beneath sleek black fur. It's body was stiff as a board, ready to fight at the drop of a dime.
"Get off, Jodian," I growled at him, prepared to jump my own Guardian to help Constantine out, all thoughts of killing him abandoned. He was too good a friend, too close a brother. I couldn't let some kitten take that away from me.
The cat shrugged off, stepping off calmly, all anger gone from his face. It was almost as if he did this kind of thing every day, killing anyone and everyone in his way. He looked at me, a third of his face proud of himself, the rest annoyed with me. "I doubt you would have lasted that fight very long."
"And you should know?" My voice felt dark and angry, and I was furious. He had no right to come in here and finally decide to be my hero. It was far too late for that.
"Yes, I should." He replied me simply, in a matter-of-fact way. I wanted to strangle him now, forget Constantine. This kitty kat was asking for it.
"Forget it. He's right, I'm sorry," Constantine burst in, picking himself up, sitting beside the fire.
I shook my head. "And I've got problems? You're too sorry. I hate that. Why can't you stand up for yourself at least once? Try it out, maybe you'll like it."
"And be more like you? I'd rather be kicked around a bit." He returned my look with a steely glare, it lacked anger, but all the seriousness was there, staring right at me in green stone.
I grumbled, grabbing my birthstone, finding it was already on a string, and hooked it around my neck. It fit in the palm of my hand, just barely, gleeming evilly. It reflected me, my dark aura. Cool.
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain July 9th 2011, 5:45 pm

Chapter 25:
Healer

We camped out for the night, my unexpected injury causing Constantine to make an executive decision. One that really pissed me off. So as he slept comfortably, rolling to face away from me, his muscles still tense within a deep slumber. I was left sitting up against my tree, staring at the half-eaten apple laying at my feet, splintered bark deep within the crisp white flesh.
I saw him twitch once or twice every so often, and the fear I felt, tasted from him screamed nightmare. I didn't care though. I was still too pissed. Fuck him, I hoped he had a heart attack. He really didn't like me. And I found I honestly didn't give a damn. Or did I? Was I really that happy? Or was I secretly dying inside, without my brain even realizing it?
Jasmine was on my mind then, the blind Spanish girl who helped me out with all my problems, no matter how big. She always had my back, too. She probably would have helped me out today, too. The kid would've killed Constantine, and I would've had to hold back Jodian to keep him off my little sister. It wouldn't have ended well, but I would have happy.
And then I would have been out of a Guardian, and those old pricks back in Mirda would be out of a great fighter and a loyal warrior. I'd probably be banished, though I didn't exactly shun the thought of wandering alone for the rest of my days. I would go over to the waterfall again. All that green, all that water.... I could only imagine the awesomeness of it in the night, everything a deep tinge of blue, anything reflective gleaming bright silver. Oh yeah, I'd stay at the waterfall.
My lungs let out a bored sigh. I had no intentions of sleeping tonight, even if I was beginning to feel drowsy again. I was too sick of my nightmares, and though I'd gotten out of my last one, I seriously doubted I'd be able to gut my way out of my next. I just didn't get that lucky. Especially me.
A growl answered me, amber eyes blinking at me. I used to love those glowing orbs of light, soft silver radiating just around the pupils, a warm amber, almost copper, color surrounding it. They both mixed together beautifully, like opposites drawn together, a art masterpiece on the face of a once loved family member.
Now they glared at me with malice, the black creature claiming them flashing his fangs at his own pupil.
"Sleep." That was the only thing he said, and the only thing he seemed to want to say.
I looked away from him, up into the sky, blocked thoroughly by green foliage. Only the red embers from the leftover fire gave any sort of light. I had to resist the urge to scuff them out with my own feet, to bring back the dark cover of night.
The pulse within my wrist pumped softly, a light thrum underneath my pale moon skin. The warmth of blood rose in my body and I felt a need to jump into icy waters. I was calming down, the buzz in my mind finally easing after so long. It had been there for.... I can't even remember how long. It'd always been there. And now it was leaving me.
"What do I do, Jody?"
The cat growled at me again, his neck fur making a soft rustle as it bristled. I didn't look at him. My eyes were too interested with the leaves of the trees looming high above me. "For what problem do you need an answer?" I didn't expect an answer from him, a sign of interest or concern. He was the only thing close enough to call family. Well, besides Jasmine. But she was a sister, not a guiding hand.
"I don't know me. I mean, I know most of me, bits and pieces. But everything keeps twisting back and forth, everything keeps changing. I don't know the true me. I really don't know what I'm like."
He didn't growl, and there was no burning on my face, no hairs standing up on my neck, so he wasn't staring at me. I didn't hear any tensing, no claws entering the loamy soil beneath us. It made me curious, and I found myself looking at him. He was looking back with a genuine caring glance. No malice, no anger, no regret.
"I cannot answer that. Though I know the feeling, I'm not sure of a correct answer. In years of the cat I stay as now, I am one and a half. That is merely twenty-one in human years. Being a cat does not involve all the dramatic events a human has. After all these years, I still cannot understand why humans make such big scenes for such simple situations."
He was right, in a way. Humans did tend to be drama queens compared to the animals that were here way before us. We're the little school girls in the natural world. How we got to the top of the food chain is beyond me, and we're full of ourselves because of it.
I looked back at the leaves, my mind drifting again. It found itself settling on Jodian after about a minute or so. He was a bobcat, or a demon cat thing? And how was he so young when he was with me for sixteen years and counting?
"How do you change? Back and forth?" My eyes fell back on his resting face, as he lay upon the ground, laying in lesuire with his limbs stretched out slightly, chin resting on his crossed forepaws.
He merely opened his eyes again, looking at me with a serene calmness that almost annoyed me. He was like a hundred years old in spirit, and I felt so young in his presence. "A Guardian is born with that ability. To better protect our charge. Being a bobcat poses a slight threat, and it's somewhat covert. When you're a Guardian, you don't want to be noticed. You want your charge to be able to figure out that you're their Guardian on their own. Which you have done."
"Why? What's wrong with knowing you're my Guardian?"
He took a moment, gathering his thoughts and he chose certain words out of a vast vocabulary to answer me in a way that would shut me up. "You would become lazy, dependent. You'd cease to fight your own battles and become too reliant on me. When I left, you'd be lost. Weak."
"Leave? When are you leaving?" No one said anything about him going anywhere. Not to me.
"When you have finally become an adult, I will leave. There will be no need for a Guardian to protect you anymore."
"But then.... where would you go? Do you have a family to go to? A home or something?"
He simply shook his head slightly, taking a long blink. "I will move on to my next charge, the next child I must protect."
"You get to guard another kid?"
"Yes. One born with Mirdan blood or selected by genes. I choose new forms, and go to my new child," he answered simply, closing his eyes again.
"Wait a sec, you actually choose what you get to be? You mean you weren't born a bobcat-slash-monster-thing?" My hand found itself making the slash in the air as I became more interested in what the cat might have to say.
"Yes." He smiled with what I thought might be pride. "Guardians choose what they're next forms will be. There are two types: Protector and Fighter. My Protector form would be the Bobcat part of me. And my Fighter form is what I am now, the monster you gesture to is actually called a Saber-Tooth Tiger."
My brows furrowed. Though it sounded absolutely amazing that he could be whatever he chose, or that he could never stop changing, I was still curious about some things.
"I have different two questions, and I'll say them both now in case I forget to ask the other."
"Very well," the cat replied.
I nodded, "One is how do you get to be two different things, and then change to another set of two different things? The second is how are you so young when you've been living so long?"
He looked at me, only taking a short breath before he answered me. I couldn't help but feel I was finally aquiring a father or some sort. He didn't have to be my snuggle-buddy-Molly, he was protector, my someone-to-lean-on-Jodian.
"Once I have finished with a charge, and my time is done, I decide what my next set of forms I will be. I am killed and reborn, with no memories of my past life, only a strong urge to protect the first one I see. That answers both questions, does it not?"
I nodded. But I still had more questions. The more he said, the more I needed to know. "But you die? How?"
"The Healer in Mirda. She is the one with the power to continue the line of Guardians. We are incapable of breeding, so without the Healer, we would die off and an entire race would be lost forever."
"The Healer?" Who was the Healer? How come I'd never heard of her?
He dipped his head in response. "Yes. Her name is Thelma, and she is the one who heals wounds that cannot be healed naturally, or with medical care. She cares not for where you come from, or what you have done. She tends to those in need." He looked at me with a serious gaze, no longer interested in explaining things I might be lost on. "Your night terrors, she might be capable of helping you. When we return to Mirda, seek her out."
A chill ran down my spine. Not only did Jodian know about them, which I'm not surprised since he lived with me for forever, but he knew of a way to stop them. Part joy and part surprise filled my buzzing mind. The buzz was back.
I nodded, looking back up at the leaves.
"As I grow, memories of my past lives, past charges, come back. Only small fractions at first, but they all piece together eventually. I know of hundreds of lives that I have lived, yet I realize I will never stop gaining more and more lives."
Silence. One half of me was amazed that something could never stop living, not stop strengthening. The other half was thinking of how tiring it would be. To live over and over again, go through every pain time and time again without end. Would I really choose that life?
"I don't know much of your problems, or their solutions, but there is one piece of advice I've always found true."
"What?" I looked down at him once again, feeling my own ears perking up.
"When all hope is lost, remember the hour is darkest just before dawn."
My blood went ice cold, my heart a lump of frozen stone. Those were the exact words that old lady had said to me, as she flicked sugar at my face for some wierd reason. She was the only person I was truly afraid of, that I could clearly pick out from my mind's emotion. When I thought of her, I felt like hyperventilating. She creeped me out far too much for any sort of help to be asked from her.
Still, I looked back up at the trees again, "Thanks Jody."
My neck still hurt, and it was still a little stiff. I could turn it a little, but not much more than looking up and down like I had when I talked to Jodian. A chill ran through my skin from the cold air surrounding me. The dying fire seemed so warm, but I refused to lay beside the bright light.
"Cold?"
I shrugged, not looking back at the cat. "Not really," I fibbed.
He stood up, walking over to me. He was a little taller than me when I saw down, his underbelly just above me. All that black fur..... It was so black, so deep. It looked like the night sky, which was why the only thing I could see of him when he was back lying down was his eyes. He lay at my side, curling slightly around me, his head at my feet, resting gently on my ankle. I couldn't help but smile.
"Something amusing?"
"This won't hurt your rep, will it?"
He shot a prideful look at me. "I might be rude, but it does not mean I don't enjoy laying with my charge. That has never changed."
I put up my palms, a nonchalant look on my face as I tried to hide a grin.
"I will awake before Jones anyway."
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain July 9th 2011, 10:44 pm

Chapter 26:
Family Reunion

The morning was crisp and clean, no dew on the ground because of the cover of trees. A heavy fog loomed over us, a welcoming sign for me, but not so much for the other two. They both seemed as if something was standing right over their shoulders, ready to jump out and attack at the first shot it got. I didn't quite get what was up, but I didn't say anything.
I stretched, arching my back as I took in a lungful of air and held it. The vertebrae in my back popped twice, and I was satisfied. The wound on my neck was nothing more than a dull ache, a nuisance to draw my attention in the wrong places.
The fire was out, a light trail of smoke floating up to meet the fog leaving a message to those who cared that fire once burned bright here, someone once claimed this piece of ground as their own for a night.
My head was as dizzy as ever, my legs nothing more than jelly, and Jodian walked by my side. Well, actually three feet away, but he was still kinda at my side.
Colt carried ahead at the front, leading us back to the Jones family farm one stride at a time.
I could only imagine how weighed down he was feeling, how much pressure was closing in on his throat. I could practically feel his blood roaring in my ears. His anxious fears filled my belly like a two ton pancake, no syrup added.
The urge to go up and hold him for at least a few seconds, to comfort him, to let him share his fears, was unbelievably strong, but a quick glance at Jodian and I knew this was something he had to face. On his own. It would only make him stronger, and taking that opportunity away from him was only making me selfish.
Not more than a quarter of a mile, I estimated. We were nearing the farm, with each gravel-filled step. The dirt road we walked upon seemed like the yellow brick road to us, a golden trail to me, a path of nightmares and fear to Constantine.
Within a half an hour, we'd be there. Finally retrieving the lost Guardian, Fawn. The only problem was, morning had arrived. And though the sun was just beginning to peek, there was a really good chance the Jones family would already be up. Waiting for us.

Heavy tension hung in the air almost as thick as the fog above us, white mist clinging stubbornly to the clean blue oxygen. Even though it was rural, farmland, the fact that polution was everywhere filled my nose. Carbon Dioxide overloads, obnoxiously strong gas fumes from tractors, and not to mention the gas pouring out cattle mouthes. It was enough to make me sick, despite my strong stomach.
I looked up for the third time, and there, surrounded by green plains and white ranch fence, was the Jones Shire Farm.
We all stopped, all three of us, waiting for Constantine to say something, to make some sort of decision, to take an action. He stood still for a long time, breathing, steadying his shaky lungs, clearing his warring mind. This wasn't going to be easy for him. I knew it. Like some lost demon pulling itself from a deep grave, this was like walking through a nightmare once forgotten by a small child.
He finally stepped forward, his head held high, hands clenched into fists of something I couldn't feel, something my tongue couldn't catch. Whether fear, pride, or something else, was known only of him.
Jodian and I followed like lost hounds on short leashes. I wanted to say when the time came I'd be there for him, but I couldn't be sure that would be true.
The drive still held the family truck, a Chevy Silverado, silver and shining brilliantly in the first rays of morning. The Jones had a thing for Chevy trucks. Not much selection, but they were good enough to get the job done.
We didn't stop, not a single moment of hesitation crossed Constantine's mind as he headed for the smaller barn. With any luck, Fawn would still be there. She was a prized Mustang, a cross country champion. The chance that the Jone's would sell her was fifty fifty. Derell would have told them about me punching him, and Constantine smuggling me out. They'd have some serious hope for revenge, in any way they could.
We'd passed the house without so much as an ounce of trouble from the family in the house. It was way too quiet for my liking.
Jodian closed his distance with me a little, from three feet to one. I took a side step and put my hand on his neck, a firm hold on the black fur on the nape of his neck. Confidence flowed from his veins to mine, and I wished Constantine could share the strength I held within my grasp.
A heavy thump. That's all I needed to hear.
I whipped around, Jodian running off to hide behind the house. So much for a Guardian.
My eyes met Derell's, brown and ugly. "Hey there," I found myself snarling at him.
He managed a grin. "Welcome back, you dumb bitch." His injuries were gone, fingers and arms perfectly fine.
Constantine was there standing beside me. I hadn't noticed him, at least not completely. But all the same, I didn't look at him.
"Stay away from us, Derell. We're not looking for trouble." Constantine kept his voice low, serious and grave.
Ha! Speak for yourself!
The ugly son of a bitch simply laughed, narrowing his eyes as he frowned. "Too bad. Cause I ain't lookin' for nothin' but trouble."
"Yeah? Really wanna get your ass kicked by a girl twice?" I couldn't help but find my fists clenching. I knew I had to stay out of this, leave this fight to Constantine, but blood was already pounding through my ears, and my muscles wouldn't let up.
Constantine still refused to look away from his half brother. "Stay out of this, Avira."
My jaw dropped and I turned to him, "I've got every right to be in on this."
"No. You don't."
Before I could argue farther, the scream from air movement drew my attention back Derell's way. I turned my head a fraction, only to be thrown back with a giant fist to my jaw. Force of gravity took me and I landed hard on the ground, air leaving my lungs. I was dazed, the fact that I was lightheaded to begin with not helping me out.
The fight had started.
I blinked hard, my eyes fuzzy and weak. Why couldn't I get up? Why couldn't I find the strength to at least open my eyes long enough to find my target? Derell was going to take his chance, he was going to take me on and win because I couldn't even get up.
I felt a hard bite on my thumb and I jerked my hand away, eyes whipping open.
A golden brown bobcat stared at me, his neck fur bristled. "Get up. Things have gone too far."
I struggled to me knees, taking a hard breath in to look up and see Derell on the ground, pinned. Colt wouldn't stop punching him in the face, and blood was already on his knuckles. "Constantine!" I spluttered, my legs shaky but carrying me up.
Derell wouldn't last too much longer, and though the taste of blood sounded amazing right now, we didn't need a murder.
He didn't answer me, and I had to force myself to move closer. By the time I managed to the five feet, Colt was already putting a hard choke on his brother. His grip was so hard I could see some veins popping out, tight chords beneath tanned skin.
I fell to my knees beside him, hanging around his neck, trying to pull him off. "Colt! You gotta let him go!" I could feel fear rising up in my throat.
I'd never seen Constantine like this. The murderous rage he held within himself scared me, to death. I didn't recognize anything at all. He'd snapped, gone off the deep end. "Colt! Come on man, get off!"
Derell was starting to close his eyes, and he was running out of time.
I summoned at least a fraction of adrenaline, as much courage I held within my terrified body, and pulled back my fist. My knuckles struck hard on his neck, making his head bow slightly. He only took a second, then his grip around Derell's neck was gone.
I was gasping hard, on the ground, Constantine's fist pulled back as far as it would go, his other hand pulling hard on the collar of my shirt, my head slightly off the grass as he sat on me. "Colt, chill out. It's me, Avira."
He didn't respond. His snarling face and gleaming eyes weren't a comforting sign either. He really wanted to hit me. No. It wasn't just pain he was after. He really wanted to kill me. And I couldn't find the strength to defend myself. I'd rather he kill me.
"Vixen, remember? I've been your best friend since we were five. Remember how we used to steal cookies from the lunch ladies in first grade?"
Nothing was clicking, but at least he was taking the time to think about it. He wouldn't stop breathing really hard.
"Or how we used to swim in the Cat's Den? We were only ten. Ten, Colt. Right around the time that horse went nuts? Your mom kicked me off the farm for good after that."
Something went off, because his eyes loosened up slightly. They were opening, as if the storm raging on in his head was finally getting a beam of sunlight.
"We used to have to take Fawn out at night after that, and we'd be so tired the day after in school. Remember how you got detention because you feel asleep in Algebra 'cause of it?"
He was slowly looking down at the ground, his eyes growing misty with shame and anger.
"It's his fault. I wanted nothing to do with him. He started it, and he never got caught. It was mom, she always said he was perfect."
Constantine sniffled, and I risked putting my hand over his clenched fist, holding my collar. "I know, Man. It wasn't fair. Never was. Life isn't fair. But we gotta get over it."
"But I can't. He deserves it. He needs to be put out, he needs to learn his lesson." Constantine tightened grip on my shirt and I had to stifle my breath.
"He learned his lesson. You taught 'em some respect. He won't bully anyone around anymore. You're a hero."
A tear ran down his cheek after a moment of silence heavy with tension. "No. No I'm not. I'm a monster."
Guilt. Guilt and shame. Fear ran within it all, I could taste it. I wanted nothing more than all of it to go away. For some reason, the feelings coming from him tore me to pieces, broke me down.
My mind irrational and so off target, my hand found itself pulling at Colt's collar. I couldn't believe it, even as it happened, but I found myself pulling him in for a kiss. The [Thou whose name shalt not be spoketh] tang of blood on his lip drove me mad, made me want more, but I had at least a little self control to let him go after a second or two. "The last thing you are, Constantine Jones, is a monster," I whispered, my voice strong, but meant only for his ears.
He was dumbstruck, only staring at me. His lips were a tight line, caught between pain, misery, and truth. It didn't quite taste quite as good as the fear radiating from Derell earlier, as I struggled to get up and stop Constantine. It might have been the only thing feeding my weak muscles.
"Come on, I gotta check on your dumbass brother."
That finally got something out of him. He stood up and walked toward the barn, without me. I didn't follow. He needed to focus on himself for a few moments. He wasn't a monster, I knew that for sure. And if hadn't known he wasn't meant for killing, I probably would have let him kill Derell. But it would have clung to his mind for the rest of his life, serving as one more thing to regret forever.
I struggled up, a bobcat strolling to my side. "Thanks for the help." My voice found itself sarcastic, and I partly regretted it.
"That boy is not unconcious. I cannot sacrifice my secrecy for your heart-to-heart with Mr. Jones."
"If I hadn't done what I'd done, he would have killed Derell and probably would've at least broken a few of my bones in the process. If you were there, none of it would have had to happen."
"And he'd be pinned, with you still trying to talk sense into him as I struggle not to claw his throat out."
I groaned, annoyance flowing through my brain, making my eyes roll. "I hate when you're right."
"You'll get used to it."
I resisted a punch to his face and walked over to Derell.
Kneeling beside the giant's body, I whistled. His nose was crushed, again, and he had blood all over his face. Sighing, I used my forearm to wipe off his forehead. Beneath, I found not a single scratch, but plenty of pink and puffy skin. It was Colt's blood on his face. I could only imagine what the knuckles on his hands looked like.
A whimper came from the supposedly unconcious person on the ground. "Chill out, I ain't gonna hurt ya."
He had to take a deep breath and I looked at him, his eyes opening. Seeing who it was, he waited a moment. "You saved my life." He was in awe, and I wanted to punch him just to knock him out.
"What are you talkin' bout?" Save him? I was the one who wanted to kill him, not Constantine.
"He was gonna choke me out, he was gonna kill me. You stopped him." His eyes were wide with appreciation and surprise.
I rolled my eyes yet again, almost relishing the feeling of anger rising in my veins. "If I wanted you dead, I would've killed you myself."
"Thanks."
I growled at him, my hand at his throat. A moment of clarity rose in my mind. Colt and I were never here, we couldn't be found again. "Where is everyone?"
He gasped slightly, struggling some breath beneath my somewhat tight grip. "At church, it's Sunday."
I nodded, thankful the Jones decided to waste their time in a little white church a mile up the road. I remember hating having to go there when I was younger. At my 'Dad' left me, I'd lost all faith in a God. By six, I was pure Athiest. I control my destiny, and no one else was going to stop me.
Derell had his hands tight on my wrists, practically begging me not to kill him. I wouldn't let him win that easily.
"When did me and Colt show up?"
"Ten minutes ago," he spluttered pathetically. It kind of reminded me when I was held down by that old lady with the sugar. The thought made my blood run cold, making my grip around Derell's throat tighten. I forced some more words out, making sure they sounded strong and violent. "Really? I don't think I was here today. Niether was Colt, we went camping."
He choked a bit, his airway closed up. I loosened my hand a bit and he coughed. "You went camping," he struggled, tears streaming out his eyes. "You went camping."
"Oh man. You don't look too good. What happened to your face, dude?" I was being cruel, and loving every bit of it.
"My face?" His hands were like steel chains on my wrists, but I wouldn't let up. "I-" He had to gulp down some air, barely getting it past my grip. "I fell. I fell down."
I let go, pushing down hard on his neck before I stood up. "Good dog."
He lay there for a minute, and I waited for him to make up his small mind on what he was going to do about this.
When the giant began to sit up, I took a quick executive decision and punched him hard right above his temple. Derell fell hard, a thump sounding his fall. I left him, finally standing up, stretching.
Arching my back felt so good. It relaxed all the tensed muscles within my body, pulling them out and then letting them go with such shock that I fought the urge to collapse right then and there.
A soft nicker brought me back to earth and I turned.
The tall black mare followed Constantine, no lead, no halter. Every silver spot gleamed perfectly, and even with all the time we had spent away, she was still as gorgeous as ever.
I walked up cautiously, not sure whether or not I was going to end up with another Jodian.
Hands on hips, I looked at the horse with a sense of hostility, though I was indecisive inside.
She neighed softly in reply, her eyes practically smiling at me. "Alright Fawn, acts up. Talk."
Jodian, still a bobcat, sat beside me, his fur just barely brushing my pant leg.
Constantine stood at the horse's side, "We've been to Mirda."
The mare flicked her silver tail. "I can tell, young one." She looked at him, her eyes gentle as he managed a small smile.
"I guess I never expected you to turn out to be a talking horse, forget the chance that you turn out to be my protector, Fawn."
"Life is full of unexpected things, Constantine. This won't be the last of your surprises."
A small growl erupted from the cat at my heel. "Fawn? How disgusting. Ventus, please. You're really going to let them call you that?"
The horse actually chuckled. "I've grown rather fond of the name. I believe I'll keep it. How are you Jodian?"
The bobcat flicked his stubby tail. "Small talk will have to wait until later, I'm afraid. We have to get back."
Ventus looked over at the body lying on the ground not more than a hundred yards. He wasn't dead, but he was still definitely knocked out. I was both grateful and proud of. It was a lot of fun punching someone, a great venting source as well.
"Yes, I see that it will." She took a step back, and when Constantine reached forward, fear written on his face, she merely smiled. "There's nothing to fear, dear boy. I'm not leaving without you."
And then it happened.
The air seemed to gain some sort of crackle, the deep mist clearing a little as the mare held her breath. At first I thought it was just my eyes messing up, but when I caught sight of Colt's jaw dropping, I knew it wasn't just me when I saw tips sprouting from side of the black equine's body. They didn't stop growing either. Not until two giant, jet black wings, complete with full feathers, had formed.
"Pegasus? Nice touch." Jodian sounded saracastic, almost as if he'd seen this kind of thing before. "I at least try to keep it realistic."
"The things that aren't real seem to be the best." Fawn countered him, folding in her wings, looking at Constantine. "Are you ready?"
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain July 16th 2011, 11:09 pm

Chapter 27:
Blast O' Fun

I wanted to go up to her, to go and check every feather, look for the metal rods hidden within the fake wings. They couldn't be real. It just wasn't possible. Scientifically, aerodynamics, any way you looked at it, horses with wings just didn't happen. Jodian said that Guardians could be whatever they chose, but I didn't expect that to include mythology. And he had to be some stupid tiger....
"Yes." Constantine gulped, pushing down all the fear he held in his body.
Fawn merely smiled at him, "I'm afraid saddles won't work here."
I found myself grinning ear to ear. "Who said we wanted saddles?" The land seemed nothing more than a few inches when I bounded up to her and hopped onto her back, legs tucked in to avoid landing on her wings, fingers running through her mane as I grabbed some for hold. Her mane wasn't silver anymore, it was black. Only the strands closest to her neck of sinew were there any sign of silver, mingling within the midnight mane. It was even better than when she was just a horse. She'd magically grown at least two feet, making her tower over Constantine now.
Jodian let out a growl, the burning on my neck making me turn and meet a deep glare from him. I felt my face flush and smiled sheepishly like an idiot. "Uh... Woops?"
Constantine merely shook his head, the moment of pride he had started gone. He grabbed my arm, using it as leverage as he climbed up onto the mare. "Move."
The gruff voice made me tense with my short temper, but I did as he said and let him hop in front. Now I was stuck behind him, my to-be amazing view ruined. I almost felt sorry for taking his chance to shine, wrecking his moment of glory. I got carried away too often, too easily. Self-Control wasn't there.
Hearing him breathing slowly, you could tell Constantine was really trying to gather himself. He had no fear of heights like I did, but it wasn't every day you trusted your life to a winged horse to carry you all the way to some lost island in the Bermuda Triangle. I was still embarassed from my little stunt, so I didn't bother trying to cofort him in any way. I'd just end up pissing him off a little more.
"Jodian?" Fawn looked down at my Guardian, still a somewhat small bobcat. His face was stuck up in a snarl, as if the thought of flying disgusted him. "I believe I will take my chances down with the water route."
My eyes rolled instinctively. "Get up here, Fluffball. I need you with me when we get there."
That fight with Christian wouldn't be easy. I'd have to take on all eleven of the Elders, if I wanted to get to him. Not an easy task with an injured neck, empty belly, and tired body. But I didn't care. My anger, adrenaline, would get me through it. But if I ran into trouble I couldn't take care of, Jodian would be nice to have around. I wasn't going to trust Constantine anymore, he wouldn't agree with my motives.
The cat growled again. "I don't see how this is absolutely necessary."
"The fact that you'll drown in the tunnel doesn't phase you?" I felt my hands clenching. I wasn't going to deal with his shit now. I'd drag him up here if I had to.
Ears flattening, he finally gave in. "If I die, I will be sure to kill you, Ventus."
The mare chuckled, her hindquarters going down a fraction as the cat landed on her, working his way onto my lap. "Very well."
At first I thought he was snuggling up again, like the little kitten he was at heart. But then I realized it was probably the only safe place he had to be. If he was on the back behind me, he'd have to claw into Fawn in order to stay on, and I can't imagine she'd be happy about that. So I wrapped my arm around him, keeping him on my lap.
Fawn lowered her hindquarters, preparing her legs for a run to get us up in the air. The wings on her back stretched out, held up so they could flap as she ran.
She didn't run.
I heard nothing from all four of us, each and every being holding their breath with some sort of silencing tension. Fawn launched into the air with a powerful jump combined with a heavy push from her wings, cutting through air. She didn't stop either, she kept flapping, kept moving higher and higher, the farm getting smaller and smaller below.
I had to wrap my arms around Constantine to keep myself on, crushing my Guardian in the process. I was gasping, trying to get some breath in my drained lungs as my fear of heights rose to the surface again. And to think I used to test my fear, try to get rid of it. This was not something I wanted to do every day. This isn't happening, it's not real. It's not possible, it's not possible. I was no scientist, but I knew this wasn't possible.
But she kept flying, and my nerves would loosing it. We were flying. In the air.
At what looked like ten thousand friggen feet in the air, she stopped going up and started heading where I thought was south, in an eastern direction. In the distance, I saw this.... thing. It was like a twister, a small tornado. It was twirling around and around itself, laying down as if it were taking a nap.
The air was cold and dry, and very hard to breathe. It seemed like I was the only one struggling to get any air because every one else sat perfectly still as I shook and shivered, gasping and panting. Then again, I think I was the only one afraid of heights as well. But the thought of being inside a twister scared me to death. Air swirling around you everywhere, running from your lungs as you choked to death....
I didn't want to go in.
But Fawn didn't slow down or change direction. She was cutting through air like a knife through butter, her heart set on that wind tunnel of death. "Fawn!" I screamed to her, but the air stole my voice away, and I didn't even think I heard my own voice.
At the last moment, my grip tightened around Colt, my jaws clamped together in grim fear as I shut my eyes and hoped for the best. I'd live, hopefully. At this point, I believed I was too stubborn to let myself die that easily.
The blast of air was unbearable, and I thought I was going to fall right off. My legs tightened their hold on the mare, and I don't think Colt could breathe with my wrapped around him so tight.
And then.... it stopped.
The air was still and cold, crisp. I opened my eyes to find we were moving at an unbelievable speed, but we weren't feeling it as much as we should be. Now we were in the eye of the storm, the center of the wind tunnel. I could feel my hair whipping along in the fast breeze behind me, threatening to fall right off my skull. It felt amazing.
I let go of Constantine, finally sitting on my own. I wasn't exactly comfortable sitting up at heights unknown to man, but it was great being in a spot like this. I lifted my arms, feeling like a bird as I let the air swirl around me.
That's when we dropped.
Fawn dived, her wings folding in completely, legs tucked in. I crashed into Constantine, the air knocked out of my lungs, the cat on my lap probably dead by now. Colt almost fell off, barely able to handle my weight along with his as we fell way too fast. The tunnel wall didn't even phase me this time since we blasted through it too fast.
I decided now was not the time to start screaming. If I were Colt, I'd rather die with my eardrums still intact. Wouldn't you?
So I simply held my breath and closed my eyes. I trusted Fawn a little, at least. She must know how to fly, what Pegasus didn't? What's the use of having wings if you couldn't use them properly?
My world shifted after moments of awaiting death, the jerk upwards making my eyelids whip open to find the horse's wings spread open wide, practically ripping off as we went from three thousand miles an hour to about fifty. Constantine and I were hanging on to each other, while he held onto his horse as well.
The earth was coming up fast, faster than it should in my eyes. We were going to crash into the green grass and die before I could ever get to Christian. What a waste. If this were to happen after I was done with him, maybe I wouldn't be so pissed. But right now? I was fuming. I could've used to water tunnel back at Cat's Den and gotten through safely if I reached the bank before the waterfall pulled me down.
I crashed into Fawn's back as she finally hit ground. Constantine and I jolted forward, literally rolling off her back and onto grass. Side-by-side, we worked on catching up our breath. "What a lovely stroll, wasn't it?" Fawn shook her neck, her mane stratching out beautifully.
No. It was not a lovely stroll. It was my worst hell, damn it. She could've killed us! And I hate heights!
"Quite the contrary, you speeding devil." A fluff ball stood up. It took me a second to realize it was Jodian standing on Ventus's back, his fur all fluffed out so that he looked like a tawny cottonball. I laughed out loud, nudging Colt and pointing at my Guardian. He took a second to look, and another to try not to laugh before cracking.
We both laid there for five minutes at least, laughing at my cat. It was the funniest thing I'd seen all day. All week, actually. I was laughing so hard tears were running out of my eyes, and my stomach was hurting so bad I thought I would split in two.
Eventually, the cat stood over me, now a jet-black predator. "What's so funny?"
I laughed in his face, "That little hairdoo you got goin on!"
He growled, attempting to look up when he couldn't see his own head. He sat down, his back arching in anger as he used his massive paw to fix his fur. I could feel the shame and embarassment rising in his chest, making his claws unsheath and sheath again, back and forth.
I managed to prop myself up onto one elbow, my breathing slowing. "Sorry Jody, couldn't help it."
He growled at me, "Do not call me that, Trinity."
The horse chuckled, standing there watching everything. "Calm yourself Jodian, they're just children."
"Trinity?"
Jodian looked at me, "It's your name, imbecile. I know you've read your own birthstone. You should remember that by now." He finally stood, looking northish. "We leave now, while we still have light."
Trinity. I still couldn't get used to that. Avira Trinity. Weird, but maybe a good weird. I'd have to work on it.
I pulled myself up, standing fully. I turned to help Constantine up when I found he already pushed himself up and was walking away in the direction my cat had pointed out. He really was pissed at me. But for what reason is the thing I'd like to know.
I sighed, not knowing the mare behind me, her wings gone. Her silvery mane spelled heavenly dreams and smelled of sweet flowers. "Peace, child. He's just tired. It's been a long day, has it not?"
Fawn was by my side, and I frowned. "Guess so. I just wish I knew what was up. We used to be best friends, and now this. It doesn't make sense, ya know?"
She simply nodded, "When growing up, these changes happen. Whether they're permanent or not is up to how you two respond to it."
"Come on, you bumbling fool!" Jodian growled at me again, his neck fur bristling. I felt my hands curl into fist, and then let go. I couldn't fight right now. Not when I was feeling so lost again. Hopefully depression wouldn't get me again, but I could feel it nipping at my heels like a stubborn lapdog.
I strode forward, keeping myself occupied with the fact I had to keep moving or break down into a heap of nothing. Constantine was already getting pretty far ahead of us. "Better get moving."
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain July 16th 2011, 11:13 pm

Chapter 28:
No Place Like Home

By nightfall we were outside of town. I was crouching beside Jodian, behind a bush. "We should just go home, you know. Tell Colt and Fawn they can go back home and we'll all go to the Elders tomorrow, for the meeting."
For now, I didn't want anyone knowing about my devilish plot. I'd carry it out unless things got out of hand. The my furry back-up would be there to help me out. No need to drag anybody unnecessary into it. Especially Colt, he had enough on his plate, and he was already angry at me. No need to piss him off any further.
"Why so quick to be rid of them?"
"I'm just tired, Jody. And hungry. Aren't you?" I looked at him, trying my best to appear honest.
He let a small smile show. "I suppose a meal wouldn't hurt, would it?"
I smiled back, "Thanks Jodian."
The cat lashed his black tail, stepping out of the brush. "No need to thank me. I can't let you die of starvation, can I?"
Fawn stepped out a few yards down, Colt riding on her back. They were on their way back home without us, but where he planned to put his "Horse" was beyond me. I wished him luck, I guess. He woud definitely need it. Me? I didn't believe in luck. I did what I want.
"I suppose not," I replied, my eyes still on the horse and her rider. I heard a growl, making me turn my head slightly, my eyes still stubborn to move along with my skull.
"Would you pay attention? We must get moving now, before someone decides to notice us."
I stifled a sigh, "Sure. We'll go now." Standing up, I got out of the green leaves and onto the sandy terrain of the town square. Some of the stands out here still held fruit, and I stole an apple, crunching on it as we walked toward the appartment. Jodian really had no clue where he was going, and he was definitely uneasy about it. His fur bristled and I had to pat him on the head to chill him out. "Easy bud, you're fine."
He growled at me, "You're right. I am. Get off." A flick of his ear and I retracted my hand, holding up my palms in a defensive way. Man, what was in his fur?
By the time we reached the stairs, I had just begun to realize the problem with him being a giant cat. "Switch back."
He growled, looking at me, "What?"
I swear I could feel my palm muscles tightening, begging me to let it slap him hard in the head. I'd let him know how I liked his attitude. Just because he was my Guardian did not give him the permission to have my personality. Yeah, I knew I was a bitch, a jerk, whatever. I didn't care much.
"I need you as a bobcat, not this thing you are now," I managed to snarl back at him without letting myself go straight to violence. With all the stress I'd been handling today, I think I deserved a few fights. At least one.
He kept his mouth shut, but he started to shift. His fur was going back, lightening. I let him go. I'd rather go up the stairs then stay there and watch him. Might as well get a head start.
On the top of the first flight I met up with the bobcat, who had somehow managed to slip past me. "Ho-"
"Don't waste time asking. Let's go."
I frowned and continued up, him racing further ahead of me.
By the time we reached the top, niether of us were out of breath, but our legs were straining all the same. He looked around, wondering where the door was. I had a chance to grin and feel superior. "Where do we go now?"
I shrugged, "Oh, I dunno."
Looking at the wall, I found the crack where the door's hinges were. "Hey look! What's this here?"
The cat rolled it's amber swirled eyes, his stub of a tail slowly swaying from one side to the next, so I imagine it would be lashing if he actually had a tail. "Open it, Avira."
I grinned at him, wiggling my finger at him, "Ah ah, not so fast Furball. What's the special word?"
"Now."
I chuckled at him, finding his pushy words funny for a change. He couldn't make me open it, and he couldn't open it himself. He had no thumbs! "Try again!"
He growled, muscles flexing beneath his golden pelt. "Please." He managed to grumble between bared fangs.
I cupped my ear with my hand, "I'm sorry, come again?"
"Please." He said a bit louder, but much too mumbled.
"I swear Jodian, there must be something in my ears."
"Please." The cat said clearly, a deep growl within it. He glared at me with narrowed eyes.
"That's better." I smiled inwardly and turned to the wall, finding the small hole and pulled on it. The door swung open and we were allowed access to the attic. I took one step up the ramp, no steps to help me up. My Guardian had no problem, he shoved past me, letting out a hiss as his paws took him higher.
I followed, happily finding myself at home. At last. It was around midnight, I could feel it. Five minutes after or so. Reaching the top flight, I looked around. Nothing unusual, and Jasmine appeared to be sleeping, according to her breathing.
I stretched, my muscles tightening as my arms reached far above my head, as far as they dared to move. I've popped my arms out of my sockets before doing that. It didn't hurt to bad, but I was still amazed I'd done it. My arms immediately went numb and all control I had over them was lost. They dropped back down and I had to wait a couple seconds before I could use them again. I was careful about them after that.
The air was knocked out of me as I hit the floor, someone tackling me to the ground. I smiled right away, knowing it was no one but Jasmine. She probably didn't know it was me yet, so I decided to put up a fight.
She had me pinned down, face against the floor, arms pulled hard behind my back. I tripped her foot behind me and she went down, at first pulling at my arms and then loosing grip. I went at her, pinning her wrists down as I straddled her. No way she was getting up. Jazz responded by pushing hard with her legs to roll us backwards, her landing on top of me. My necklace had ended up in my face, hitting my forehead with a decent amount of force.
I shook it out of my face and went back to the fight. She had me pinned, but I could get out of it if I worked quick. Adrenaline making my brain buzz, my muscles seemed to swell with energy, letting me know I could do it. I could pull this move off. I pushed hard, my arms lifting her up off me. The amount of strain was incredible, I thought I'd drop her, but I didn't. I pushed her all the way off me, though she refused to let go of my wrists. I ended up on top of her again, and I ripped my wrist out of her grip. Moving up so that me knee was pinning her chest down, I shoved my arm against her throat, pinning her down for good as my other leg held down one of her arms while the other was pinned down by my free arm.
Confusing, isn't it?
"You must be hungry, huh?"
I laughed, "You got no idea."
"Oh trust me, I can tell." She spluttered, letting me know I had my arm pressed down too hard. I hadn't realized I was choking her, the amount of force I had on her. I was literally killing her without even knowing.
Getting up, I took her hand. She got up and wrapped me into a hug I easily returned. "Missed ya too, Jazz."
We both laughed, "Sit down, I'll cook up something."
I did sit, relief washing over me as every muscle in my body began to ache. "I can make somethin'"
She shrugged, "No prob. Don't worry about it, I couldn't sleep."
"Then if you are making something, make it seafood. Meat is ridiculously high in fat and unecessary nutrients."
We both looked at the table to see a tom standing on top of the hardwood furniture, looking at his paw with no real interest.
Jasmine growled, "What is a cat doing here?"
I laughed uneasily, "Uh... This is my Guardian. Jodian, this is Jasmine, my mentor."
"Hmm. I am highly unsatisfied. You're methods of teaching are pathetic. This child knows nothing of fighting." He nodded over to me and we both stood up. I felt my hands tighten into fists. I didn't know how to fight?
Jasmine whirled around with a huge butcher knife in her hand. She might be blind, but she was an excellent shot. "Really? Wanna see how I fight?"
That brought my senses down a bit. "Um.. Jazz, I kinda need him alive. Let him go, he's only like this when he's hungry. I promise." What a bad lie. But I was hoping he'd cool down for Jasmine. She was just as hotheaded as I was, and she wouldn't put up with Jodian for long if he kept at it. I don't care how big or strong he was, Jazz would end up skewering him on a chopstick and roasting him over an open fire for lunch.
She glared at him a while longer, him returning it with a calm stare, impassive and nonchalent. What a prick!
Finally she turned back around, chopping furiously. "Nice going, Jody." My whisper reached both of their ears, but at least I tried to be covert.
He simply shrugged, striding down the table to the other chair, right across from me, right behind Jasmine. "Sushi works just as well."
Jasmine literally threw her knife down and lunged at him, crashing into the table as he jumped easily out of the way. The blind girl stood up with only a few hairs in her hand, and I guess Jodian would consider that luck on her side. "See what I mean? Training is completely inadequete. I don't see how they could have given you that kind of responsibility. She's just a child after all, and a girl at that."
Jazz was fuming, I could hear her muscles flexing, feel her anger spilling into my bloodstream. It definitely kept me awake. "Hold up you two, Jodian shut up. Jasmine, time to practice your patience. Ignore the overgrown dustbunny."
I was standing between them now, holding my hands out to prevent one another from going at it again.
I had to be honest, I was getting really tired really fast. I didn't want to keep doing this. Couldn't they fight tomorrow?
Jasmine took only one breath, "You better teach him to watch his tongue, or I'll cut it off." She turned around and kept cooking, her knife coming down so hard I thought she might split the counter in two.
The cat only looked at me with a gentle glance, "Knock it off, you asshole." I glared at him, muttering with all the passionate fury I could muster at the moment.
He smiled, his bobbed tail flicking. At least he was having fun.

Five minutes later we had a delicious plate of buttered shrimp, rice, and chopped carrots. I could taste garlic and pepper, with some oregano in the rice. It was to-die-for quality. You couldn't pay for this kind of food. The French had nothing on Jasmine.
I groaned in pleasure, taking my first few bites. "Jazz, you gotta have some. This is way too good for me to have by myself."
She smiled, glowing with pride in a hue of blue. She still hadn't turned on the lights, not that a blind girl had much use for them. And I definitely didn't need them, not with my blue night vision. "I guess I'll have a small plate. One midnight snack couldn't hurt."
So we had dinner, and we feasted like kings. I didn't stop until my belly felt like it was about to burst. I hoped Constantine was getting as full as I was, niether of us had eaten. Unless you counted that half-eaten apple he ended up throwing at me.
Even Jodian seemed satisfied with his meal. He said not a word as he purred all his food down. He was licking his muzzle for minutes afterward. "I'm gonna pass out," I said, smiling as I rubbed my stomach.
"Then pass out on your bed, I ain't gonna drag your fat ass all the way there," Jasmine shot back, grinning.
I returned at, "Oh yeah?"
We both laughed, finally standing up and heading into the room. Jodian followed, immediately stopping in his tracks at the doorway ahead of us. His fur bristled and he tensed. "Jody?"
A rat jumped out of the small wired cage beside Jasmine's bed, landing on the floor. It wasn't small, but it wasn't big. It snarled and growled, his black form hidden in the darkness while it's red eyes glowed like jewels.
Jodian was beginning to change, he was shifting. His fur darkened and he grew, his tail lengthening.
Ahead, I saw the rat doing the same. "Uh.. Jazz, what's Hades fighting form?"
He was changing quickly, a monsterously-sized dog standing before my Guardian. He didn't stop though, once he reached a dog, he grew another two inches, almost as tall as I was, and fire sprouted from his ankles and around his tail in fiery rings near the tip. His red markings glowed like fresh blood in the moonlight and his fangs were huge.
"He's a dog."
Jodian growled at him, at least two or three feet shorter than him, but still willing to take the challenge. "That isn't his fighting form. It's his final form."
Final form? "Huh?"
"When these guys were about to kill me, Hades turned into this," Jasmine explained, not as nervous as I was. Fighting, all day. And I couldn't even join in! Today sucked.
"Which would be?"
"A Hellhound."
My jaw dropped. No way. How did I get stuck with a black tiger when everyone else got cooler Guardians? I had the worst luck ever.
"What is he doing here?" The Hellhound growled at my cat, claws flexing out of his huge paws. He looked like one mean fighting machine. I wasn't about to test that.
"He's my Guardian." I smiled sheepishly at him, feeling a bead of sweat roll down my forehead. This wasn't going to end well.
"Hades, it's cool. He won't bother you if you don't bother him," Jazz said passively. I wasn't too sure about that. Jodian seemed to like to fight as much as I did.
It growled again, the flames on his body seeming to grow a bit. I couldn't be sure if it was an illusion though. He dropped his neck a bit, crouching slightly. The giant chain on his neck rattled and I had time to notice a shackle on his front left ankle, a broken chain still hanging limp from it. Where exactly did this thing come from?
"Hades, chill out." Jasmine didn't sound happy. She sounded way too serious.
The Hellhound took one last moment to make his point, his eyes locked onto my cat's. Jodian was still bristling, his muscles flexed under his sleek black pelt. I had no clue who would win in this fight.
Finally the dog back off, shrinking again. He shifted down into a regular Doberman Pincher, the usual rust markings blood-red. His eyes were still red, and he still had a chain around his neck. How'd he get the accessory?
I sighed, relieved. "Shift back Jodian, there's no fight here."
The cat sighed, "And to think I had my hopes up. All well," he shrugged, immediately beginning to shorten. I finally felt some relief and all my worry left my mind for the moment.
After, we headed for bed. Jodian was a the foot of my bed, and Hades was at the foot of Jazz's. I'd shower tomorrow, I was too tired for water, as crazy as that sounded.
I still wouldn't tell Jasmine of my plans, not yet. I'd stay concocting them in my brain. No need to drag her into it yet. "I'll see the Elders tomorrow."
She nodded, "Cool. After training?"
I measured that option. It was probably better for me to fight before I strained myself like that. "I was hoping first thing in the morning. I'd like to get it out of the way, get those old bums out of my hair."
Jasmine agreed, nodding again. "But they aren't old bums. Each are there because they're wise. They're all really strong too."
I sat up in my bed, "Really?"
"Yeah. They each train all of the top fighters. I can't even beat 'em. No one can."
I laid back down. I'd be the first then. I would fight them and win. All twelve of them. All in one day. Dying wasn't an option.
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain July 17th 2011, 9:59 pm

Chapter 29:
Two-Toned Feathers

The morning was filled with inner tension. I attempted to act as normal as possible, but both Jodian and Jasmine could sense something was up with me. Well, Jodian pretty much knew. But Jasmine? I still didn't want to tell her. What if she got mixed up in it and actually got herself hurt? I couldn't live with myself.
Okay, I won't lie. I would be able to live, but still, I'd feel at least a little guilty.
I shoved down breakfast and sucked down some water, cleaning up afterward. I took my shower and dressed in my usual, loosely fitting clothes.
Jasmine stretched again, her back arching. "We'll have a bit of archery before the Elders, okay?"
I wasn't too interested. "Can't we just meet up with these Elders?"
"I might be younger, but I'm still you're mentor. I say we go do archery, then the Elders. Got it?" She was glaring at me, assertive and amazingly strong. I did not want to listen to her, but I had to. She wouldn't have it any other way, and I wasn't about to fight for it. Maybe it was good to get some warm-ups in. Maybe I could sneak a dagger past her or something.
I groaned, "Fine. Let's go."

Down at the range, no one hung about. Today was Sunday in Mirda, and I guess everyone was taking a break. I pulled on my bow, aiming carefully at the bull's eye. I hit it, and went for another arrow. I could now do moving targets as well. I was quickly becoming an ace with this thing, and very happy about it. Now, I could hit ten targets in less than five seconds. It was a pretty awesome feeling. Having that much power, that much accuracy, it made you deadly. Gave you more intimidating factor. Which was definitely a perk.
I had a small blade tucked in my pant line, hidden beneath my shirt. Just in case.
I was knotching my bow with a red-feathered arrow when another hit my target. It was an arrow with two blue feathers and one red, each feather tipped with a bright purple.
Following the angle of the arrow, I looked to find Constantine with a very beautiful oak recurve bow. He put on two arrows next, (I could handle four at any given time), and took his aim. He let go of the string and both arrows hit the bull's eye, one of his arrows actually splitting mine.
Once again looking at him, he looked over at me, slowly lowering his bow. I choked, for the first time for as long as I could remember. Unease seemed to creep up on me and I was extremely uncomfortable. "Nice bow."
He shrugged, "I made it in my spare time."
God. He was so fricken' good at everything, all the time. At least I was a better fighter, hopefully. The fight down in Cat's Den still left me very unsure of our fighting skills. He was very strong, and pretty quick when he wanted to be. But I was very fast and my reflexes were amazingly quick. And I'm not saying this in a full-of-myself kinda way. Or... not intentionally.
And like Colt said before, I knew what to do in short-notice situations.
"Not bad."
He frowned, pulling another arrow back on the string, sending it yet again to the bull's eye. He was really good. And I was jealous.
In turn I frowned, gaining a temper slowly, but surely. "You're gettin' good."
Constantine shrugged, "Lotta practice." He looked over at Jasmine, the young girl working on sword techniques with her silver blade. He gave her a massive frown, and when she felt his gaze burning on her skin, she turned around, her foot tapping. He instantly smiled, waving. "Hey Jasmine."
She made a brief smile, warmly, and went back to training.
I got his message. Whether he wanted me to or not, I knew what he wanted. I turned around, facing Jasmine. "Hey Jazz, I'm goin' to get some more arrows. Be back in a sec!"
She didn't reply, so I took it I was fine.
"You better make this quick," I said, heading to the ammo room with him on my tail.
I walked in, with thankfully no one else in here, and stepped aside so he could pass me. As soon as he was in, I shut the door and locked it. I turned around, my back against the door. "What?"
"I know what you're up to. I already know what you're gonna do, so stop trying to hide it." His eyes were narrowed and no smile showed on his face.
"Yeah? So what? You can't stop me, no one can."
Like he had any authority over me what so ever. He can kiss my ass for all I cared. I was going to do what I want, when I wanted to.
"I'm not here to stop you. I'm here to help you out. Stop being so damn stubborn. It's not all about you." He gave me that look my "Dad" used to, and I had to look down for a moment. My shame quickly grew to anger. "I'm only stubborn because you make me be."
He made a sigh that sounded more like a grunt than anything else. "You can challenge Christian."
"Of course I'm gonna challenge him."
He practically rammed his head into the hardwood walls. "Not like that. A formal challenge. The Elders are having a meeting tonight in the auditorium near the library."
I stood still for a moment. I could bring Christian to shame, bring all his honor down, right before I killed him. I had no idea how good that would feel, but I was definitely willing to find out.
On the other hand, I could just go through all of the Elders and wipe 'em all out so this little town could live in havoc without them. Everything could go horribly out of control, fights would break out on a regular basis. Blood would spill daily.... I could feel my heart beginning to pound at the very thought of blood. It sounded so very enticing.
I'd challenge Christian.
"What time?"
"Sunset."
I frowned, a few hours then. A few hours to gather myself.
"You're allowed you and you're dragon, if you had one. Unfortunately, you'll have to take on both him and his dragon on your own. Without any help. Those are the rules."
"Weapons?"
"No weapons allowed. It's a straight brawl."
I pondered on it. I'd still bring my blade, just in case. Dragons didn't sound like much fun to take on all by myself, especially with some old guy that looks like he was the Hulk in a past life trying to kill me at the same time. I might be able to do it, possibly without loosing a limb, but it would be extremely hard, and I'd have to have my Wheaties.
"I'm in." My eyes met Constantine's steely pair of green orbs and he nodded. His hand went into his pocket, fishing around for something. He pulled out a small yellow pill and handed it to me.
I took it, examining it in my palm. "What's this?"
"It's an adrenaline amplifier, something I cooked up." He had to be a genius. Had to be. People just don't go around making bows, and pills with toy chemistry sets. You people know that's all he's using, right? A toy chemistry set, not a real one. There's no way this amish country had real chemical sets.
"So... it increases my adrenaline output?"
"Precisely. Well... it does that or it gives you a heart attack."
I looked up at him, my eyes probably the size of saucers. "You've tested this thing, right?"
He smiled sheepishly back at me, "Um.. this would be my prototype."
I sighed, feeling doomed. I'd take the pill anyway. I could definitely use it. "If this thing works, I'll need a steady supply."
"I think it does. To be honest, I had one before we left the other day. That's probably how I beat you in that fight, though I doubt it."
I couldn't help but grin. So he cheated. And he really thought he could take me without them? "Oh yeah? Wanna test that theory?"
He chuckled, "Easy Vixen. You'll need the energy for tonight. Take it easy today."
Smiling, I felt my blood grow warm with pleasure. At least we were kidding around again. Maybe our friendship had some hope after all.
"Excuses, excuses. You know I could take you." I shot a challenge at him, grinning with the promise of another fight.
He shook his head, "Cocky as ever. Good, you'll need it. Come on, before Jasmine get suspicious."
I nodded, grinning still, then froze. "Suspicous? Of what?"
Colt's eyebrows rose, giving me that Don't-Be-Stupid look. I felt my cheeks flush. No way she could've been thinking... "That?"
He smiled, holding back a laugh. Why did he have to like me? Why did I have to like him?
I rolled my eyes, "How is it that everyone jumps to that conclusion?" I unlocked the door and swung it open, not forgetting to swipe a few arrows on my way out.
We both left, side by side, each of us going back to our bows. I picked mine up, the black plastic longbow looking as sleek as a plastic weapon could look, and pulled it back, an arrow already knotched, pulled from the quiver on my back.
Jasmine didn't look back us as far as I could tell, but my heart was already pounding. I tried to keep all romantic thoughts out of my brain, to keep my focus, but it was incredibly hard. How did Constantine focus? Was I the only one turning into a blind fool?
I missed my target completely, twice. I grumbled, attempting to hide my anger. I didn't want to look like an idiot now. But either way, I think I was looking like the biggest failure around.
Grumbling yet again, I pulled out another arrow. I didn't need to hide the fact that I liked Constantine, did I? I mean, as long as we could keep focusing on our goals, it couldn't be that bad. It's not like we would last that long anyway. Why not get lost in it for a while? When I still had the chance to have fun?
I took a deep breath, pull the string back. I let my brain go numb, all thoughts emptying from my mind. After a moment of nothing but staring at the bull's eye, I let the string go. It hit directly in the center. Dead center. I've hit the bull's eye before, but rarely the center of it.
I grinned, pride swelling in my chest. I was a very qualified fighter.

Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain July 24th 2011, 6:42 pm

Chapter 30:
Kung-Fu Style

The day went by too fast. I had too much fun doing nothing.
I'd convinced Jasmine we didn't really need to see the Elders, they'd realize I was back eventually. She finally agreed, and we showed up at the auditorium at sunset.
The ancient building looked like a large house, a flat. It was maybe twenty feet tall, but only had one floor. No stairs either.
Jasmine and I walked through the doorway, finding that the inside was more like a gym than a theater. Chairs circled the center, the Elders sittng in comfortable chairs at an oval table.
I spotted Christian, sitting with a warm smile on his face as he spoke with some other old lady, and my blood pounded. The pill in my back pocket was still there, and I decided it was time to take it.
"Better work," I whispered, even too quiet for Jasmine to hear as we sat in back row seats, and pulled the yellow tablet out of my pocket. I dropped it into my mouth, ignoring the awful taste the chemicals presented, and swallowed it. I hadn't seen any allies in the crowd yet, even though most of Mirda had crowded into the building.
"When's this thing start?"
Jasmine shrugged, "Any moment now."
"And they'll be talking about?"
"Probably the battle and how we're doing food-wise. Nothing new."
I nodded grimly, waiting for the pill to kick in. I really wished it worked. It would be nice to finally have something to make me near invincible. I'd be a complete one-man army. Well, one-woman army, that is.
Finally one of the Elders stood, Rancourt, and everyone shut up.
He cleared his throat, "The Olympians have invaded us once more. I vote to take action and send a retaliation group."
Some of the Elders nodded along, most of the crowd smiling with glee. Everyone wanted to fight. I loved this place.
"I vote we leave them be. We've lost too many people already, we'd be risking too much going all the way there to fight."
I searched the voices to find Christian with a hard frown.
"But if we let them go, they're more than likely to do it again. They won't learn with no discipline." Another Elder spoke up, his gray hair grizzled by flecks of blondish brown.
"And what's the use of protecting Mirda if there's no one to protect? Every person sent over there is a death on our hands."
Mallory spoke up, breaking their argument. "What if we met them?"
Everyone looked at her, puzzled by her suggestion. Even I had no idea what she was talking about. "What?" Christian asked her, his eyes narrowing. What an evil gaze.
"We could meet them somewhere, somewhere close. We could use a spy to sneak over there and intercept their plans. When we find they are planning to invaid again, we'll meet them, cut them off."
I had to nod, it was a pretty good plan. Olympus? None of them looked too friendly. They were all very tough looking. Not too burly, but definitely strong. Built like bulls.
"We'll vote," Christian suggested, looking around the table. "All for an invasion?" Rancourt and two others raised their hands.
"All for leaving them be?"
Only Christian and Mathew raised their hands.
"All for a spy?" Mallory's voice was peppy, cheerful. Everyone else raised their hands.
"Very well." Christian waved like he was pushing it aside. I was getting tired of this business already.
Did I really have to wait? When was the best time for me to stand up and fight?
I checked my pulse, it was speeding up, my brain beginning to buzz and numb. The pill was already kicking in, and I had no idea how long it would last. Now had to be my time.
I stood, making sure to make some noise by pushing my chair and knocking it over on my way up. "I have a challenge!" I held my face angry and quiet at the same time, though my voice was enraged, loud, and crystal clear.
Everyone, everyone, looked at me. I stood still, even Jasmine's waves of surprise hit me. I was glad to finally have some element of surprise, some power.
The Elders looked at me like I was some sort of pest, an every day mosquito. "Well?" A man waited very impatiently for my reply.
"I challenge Christian."
Christian smiled at me, "Me? But why, my child?"
I held up my birthstone, yanking it off my neck as the string snapped. I held it high above my head. "He's hidden my identity and threatened my surrogate parents."
The Elders looked back at the old man, who was now turning three different shades of red. I was right when I guessed changing names was not mandatory.
"And to be honest, the guy really pisses me off." I grinned, my eyes right on Christian's.
His flashed anger back at me, and I grinned wider.
He waved his hand again. "Very well, clear the ring."
Getting up, he moved to the side as the Elders pushed the table onto it's side, sliding it all the way over to the door. It was pushed up hard against it, and I realized there was no running from this fight. Good, I hated chasing people.
He stepped into the circle, "I am ready." He spoke of it more as a challenge than a declare, and it made my blood boil.
The blade still in the back of my pants, I moved through the crowd, hands curled into fists.
Mallory stepped out as I reached the sandy pit the table once stood on. "No weapons, no allies. This will be a one-on-one match to the death, dragons allowed. Do you both understand?" She looked at us, extremely nervous.
Christian smiled, cocky.
I glared at him, "Let's dance."
The woman sighed, "I wish you luck, Avira."
"Yes, luck. You'll need something I suppose." Christian flashed me a glare and I snarled at him.
We circled each other, getting closer each go. The sand crunched under each step, sending vibrations through my body. Throughout my veins an electric buzz worked itself into my blood, making my mind clear. It was a very satisfying sensation.
At last I decided to send a shot at Christian. I aimed a quick punch at his jaw, simultaneously swinging my leg to trip him. No way he could avoid both at the same time, not him. He was too old, too fragile. His muscles were cramped with age now.
He did a backwards somersault, flipping backwards, kicking me with both feet in my chest, sending me on my back, numbed pain spreading through my shoulders first. I heard a crowd of gasps and snickers, and I got back up Kung-Fu style, kicking the air as I swung back onto my feet.
Christian stood there, his arms crossed, a finger on his jawline in question, his eyebrows cocked up at me. "Are we tired today?"
I growled at him, "Let's see what you got, old man."
He shrugged, taking the offer. He walked up slowly, my fists still in the air, primed and ready. He sent a massive volley of hits at me, each one avoided until he decided to shake things up a bit and sent a sharp knee into my stomach. I hit the ground again, the air knocked out of my gut.
Christian put his foot on my throat, pressing down as he crouched to talk to me one-on-one, without anyone else hearing it. "Forgive me, little orphan. Did I hurt your feelings?"
I was holding onto his foot, hoping to get his hard shoe off my throat as he closed my only airway off. I didn't choke very easily, but he was making it seem simple.
Anger thrust itself into my veins and I found strength in my arms. I grabbed his ankle with my left hand and aimed an elbow shot at his knee, in the soft spot with no bone, sending him, ungracefully, onto the sand with a hard thud. I cackled as I pinned him, bloodlust taking hold of me.
He was on his back. I twisted his arm behind his back, pulling as hard as I could while had my foot pressing down hard on his shoulder blades. I got down close to him, not letting up on his arm or my foot. "How's the sand taste?"
His head shot out at my face, crunching my nose. I fell hard, loosing my grip as I went down.
I stood back up, but Christian tackled me. It didn't seem like he wanted to play around anymore. Maybe he was getting tired, maybe he was just getting pissed.
He started wailing down on my face, each pound of his fist on my face making more adrenaline thread through my bloodstream. Pain shot through every nerve in my face, my nose bleeding heavily, lip split in at least three different spots, my eyes flashing black and white with shock.
Finally, he didn't seem to care anymore. Christian squeeze his hands around my throat, his thumbs pushing hard into the soft patch of tissue. I heard something crack and my world starting getting dizzy. I didn't need air quite yet, but it wouldn't be long before my lights were out for good.
"Get up!" Colt, being so very inspirational.
"Flex twist!" Now that made more sense. Thank God I had Jasmine.
It's not as if she told me exactly what to do, but she reminded me I was very flexible, and it wouldn't be too hard to get out of the hold he had me in.
Now, I tightened my grip around his wrists, forgetting about my strangling issue for the moment. He was sitting on top of me, straddling my waist so I couldn't use my legs. Or at least, he didn't think I could use my legs. He was very, very wrong.
I pulled my legs up, like I crouching into a small ball. My knees went under his arms until I could practically knock my head on them and then my feet shot out like springs straight into his collar bone. I heard a very loud snap and flew off me, his nails digging into my neck as he went.
He hit the ground, bouncing off the earth once with sand trailing in his wake. He groaned very softly. Christian was not going to hold out for very much longer. Getting back up slowly, I grinned with pride and a sense of vengeance. My turn to let him suffer.
I straddled him and pinned his arm with one hand, the other with my knee. Then, I let all my pain, all my anger, all my bloodlust loose. I didn't hold out one bit on this nursing home escapee. Each punch seemed to fuel me more and more.
Finally, he seemed to mutter something I couldn't quite make out, or at least understand during my assault. "Splyce."
Regardless, I refused to let up on the man beneath me. My fist hit his face again, and again, and again, and again. I hit him so much my knuckles were beginning to get sore.
And then something swatted me away like a fly, pinning me hard against the ground. I felt my lungs empty and my head was light. That pill must be wearing off, but my body was still willing to give off what it was able to. Which was little, since the pill made me give off everything and anything I could as fast as possible.
I growled, blinking hard. In front of me was a dark red dragon. I stood, facing it. It was scaled and had massive claws with aposabal thumbs. It's chest had these... Plates. They were dark and covered in soot, like stone. Cracked and worn it looked like they'd give way at one more touch. But then again, it might not. It's fangs were long and ivory colored, glaring at me from within massive jaws that looked capable of crushing a whole tree in a single chomp.
It crouched in front of me, at least five feet taller than I was, it's head bowed slightly in offense, two jet-black horns curving back behind it's head. The beat narrowed it's eyes, warm brown with a scarlet red ring around the iris.
Two different beings, one mind.....
This was Christian's dragon.
It leaped at me, pinning me against the ground, driving me into the piles of sand once leveled out and spotless, now spattered with stains of scarlet.
"That's not fair! She doesn't have a dragon!" Jasmine. Stay out of this, Kid.
Constantine spoke up, his voice choking slightly. "Dragons are allowed. It's in the rules."
So I was truly on my own in this one. I couldn't call for Jodian, he wasn't allowed in this fight. This was between me, Christian, and his stupid dragon, Splyce.
I took a deep breath, quick, raspy, but deep. I growled at it and hit it as hard as I could where I thought the temple might be, if dragons had temples.
It stumbled backwards, shaking it's hard with annoyance. I stumbled to my feet, sweaty and tired. All energy I possessed was slipping from my grasp at an alarming rate. I panted, desperate for air.
The lizard glared at me, flashing it's fangs at me. "Go time," I managed to splutter, gritting my jaws in anger.
It charged at me and I actually jumped up, landing on it's back. I thought I was exhausted? Where was I getting all this power from?
The beast was scaled and incredibly hard, from all the training and fighting it had probably done in the past. It had no wings, which I took as an advantage to me. It had no where to go. I looked for anything vulnerable before it decided to roll over and crush me. No such thing.
Gravity took us.
I dodged to the side, landing hard on the ground while the beast landed with a thud onto the sand. I took my chances and charged over to it, slamming myself into it's stomach. The only soft part on it's entire form. It growled with anger at me, and I climbed onto it. Heading over for the throat while it was still on it's back, I punched it as hard as I could in it's red throat.
It gargled for a moment. I kept going.
Pulling out my knife, I shoved it hard against it's throat. "Avira, no!"
Constantine. Why did it have to be Constantine?
"Don't kill him! It's not worth it! You're better than him!"
A massive paw smashed into the back of my head, sending me sprawling toward earth again.
I flipped over as fast as I could, realizing I had seconds before that thing could get up.
Struggling to my feet, I looked at it, getting some fresh air in my lungs, hands turned into fists of stone.
It easily got up, turning to me, almost grinning. It took a deep breath, it's body tensing, and opened it's jaws. I could see a small spark within it's mouth, instantly forming into fire inside it's throat. I felt myself freeze, as stiff as a board.
Something rammed into the dragon's shoulder, making it stumble to the side, a tunnel of flames erupting from it's mouth, going upward into the metal rafters.
A black cat glared at the beast, growling as the giant lizard turned around, obviously not happy to have it's plan foiled. Jodian roared at it, his neck fur bristling, oversized black claws digging into the loose earth. His tail lashed as he crouched, more than ready to take on Christian's dragon for me.
Before I could see what would happen, something knocked into the side of my temple, making me fall limp onto the ground.
I let out a quiet groan, everything fuzzy and way too dark to be my regular sight. I lay down for little more than three or four fractions of a second and started to get up, very, very slowly.
A hard kick sent me driving through the sand.
My breath was leaving me, my head was getting very groggy, and my eyes wanted to close for a long time.
I started getting up again, on my knees as I used my hands to try and push me onto my feet.
One very large hand gripped my throat, dragging me up off my feet, dangling a good foot or two off the ground. I forced my eyes open and found Christian holding me up, his lungs gasping for breath in long, noisy pants. Sweat beaded his forehead, some of his silvery hair plastered to it, covering parts of his eyebrows.
"You are not going to defeat me," he growled at me, a desperate grin working it's way onto his mouth, his sour breath blasting into my face.
I was gripping his arm with both hands, nails digging into his wrinkly skin, blood staining my fingertips with a sticky warmth I found extremely comforting.
I couldn't breath, and the shock was what really getting to me, not the air. I could go forever without air, but it felt like my life was slipping right between my fingers.
He dug his nails hard into the side of my neck, his thumb shoving it's way into the center of my neck, desperate to break skin. The pain was fiery pleasure, a delicious burn feeding my strength.
My eyes opened, focusing immediately. I felt air bite through my skin, telling me that Christian's fingers had pierced my neck, blood streaming slowly down my neck, warmth seeping into my skin with a pleasure anyone else would have found sickening.
A smile found my face and I looked down at Christian, "Wanna bet?"
I kicked that prick as hard as I possibly could in his head, sending us both into gravity's grasp. We both landed in an excellent crouch, both neat and focused, both balanced, five feet away from each other.
Behind Christian, I saw the dragon fighting to get Jodian off his back, the black tiger driving his huge canines into the reptile's shoulder. I stood up straight, some pangs of injury coming to me, but easily shaken off until further notice. "Well?"
Christian still hadn't gotten up from his crouch, breathing through an open mouth, his eyes barely focused on me.
Without warning he lunged at me, a head-on charge at me. I stepped aside, letting him pass me, slipping my foot in the way, making him trip. He started going down again and he twisted to face me, sending a fireball from his hand at my face.
I had to duck, to avoid being burnt to a crisp, and stared off to where the ball had gone. It shot into the crowd, responding with quite a few screams as some of the people actually had to stop-drop-and-roll in order to survive the unseen attack.
Once again, the old man crashed into me, pushing me into a pin. He had my hands pinned down by their wrists, his knees keeping my legs still so I couldn't pull another "Flex Twist" again.
He blinked hard, his pupils different sizes. "Calling your Guardian, eh?" He was looking at Jodian with a quick glance, watching the battle I couldn't hear. But by the loud crashes and snarls coming from Christian's dragon, I'd say my cat was winning.
The man looked back down at me, gritting his teeth. "That's cheating."
I forced a grin, "Cheating?" Laughing in his face, I felt his grip tighten with anger, and pushed on. "He only came to keep your little pet busy, he won't lay a claw on you." My grin widened and I narrowed my eyes. "You wanna see a dirty move?"
I thrust my head at his face, hitting him right above the nose, in the center of his sweaty forehead. My hit wasn't strong enough to send him flying anywhere, but he fell hard to the side, right next to me, dazed.
Seizing my chance, I straddled him, holding his throat down with my left hand. Taking out my blade, I shoved it hard against his throat, feeling the skin tear some, red liquid seeping out from inside his body.
"This is what I call cheating," I cackled in his face, his brown eyes as big as craters. Something in me snapped and I found it extremely hard to hold myself back, to keep that knife from driving itself deep into Christian's throat.
"Don't!" Constantine.
The whole room was silent. His voice echoed throughout the noiseless audatorium, piercing the hard pounds booming in my ears. All of the crowd was quiet, caught in shock as I froze.
I didn't want to look, but a hiss made my head turn and see the saber-tooth tiger latched onto the dragon. The red reptile was pinned just as Christian was, the same desperate look in those same brown eyes. Jody was keeping him down with the threat of letting his massive canines pierce straight through it's throat. If I were that scaled thing, I wouldn't be trying anything stupid.
"It's not winning if you kill him that way, Avira." Now even Jasmine was against me. Why couldn't I kill him and be happy? Did they really have to ruin my fun?
"You kill him with a knife and you'll be arrested for murder." Mallory butt in, unwillingly hinting a way to end the fight for good. I could tell she didn't want anyone to win, she didn't want anyone die. She just wanted peace.
I hesitated, stopping myself for at least a moment. I wanted to kill him. I really did. He deserved it, he deserved all the pain I could possibly give him. He was begging for me to kill him, he was teasing me. He didn't think I could do it? I didn't see him getting up from the beating he just took from a sixteen-year-old girl. A girl, folks.
"Avira."
I looked for the final time at Constantine, his emerald eyes gleaming with desire. Even he didn't want me to do this. I groaned, kicking the fuck for a final time. He better not think about trying to get up.
He simply lay there in the gritty sand, barely breathing. He wouldn't mess with me anymore. If he lived through what I'd done to him, of course.
Getting up, I began to walk over to where Constantine and Jasmine stood side by side, watching me with big smiles on their faces. I didn't need parents, not when I had these guys. They were my family. Not all the money, all the blood, all the fights, all the food in the world could make me give them up. I loved them. Far too much to let them go for anything. Perhaps I was being selfish, but for all the things taken away from me, I deserved a family. And I'd finally found it. On my own. No birthstone or Elder was going to tell me any different.
I smiled back at them, my body shaking with pain as I struggled to walk over with all my pride attached. I reached them, and they both hugged me at the same time, creating a warm group hug. The heat made my wounds hurt more, and them pushing on all my bruises wasn't helping, but I still let them tackle me.
Mallory came up, and they released me. "Well?" Constantine's face turned stone cold, and he stood slightly in front of me.
She smiled at us, "All of the Elders agree that she beat Christian fair and square. He's out of a job."
I grinned, and Jasmine hugged me again. "You kicked ass!"
"I had a little help," I glanced at Constantine, and he winked. I don't think I would've been able to take all the pain I did if it wasn't for that pill. It was like.... Something was unlocked in me. I couldn't really feel it when I started fighting, but once it was all over, all of it hit me. The power, the fury, the pure energy rushing through my veins. It was amazing. And it could have given me a heart attack. Throughout all of it, my heart was racing so fast, so hard, it was always in my ears.
"Come on, let's get you somethin' to eat." Jasmine nudged my shoulder, and I did my best not to wince.
"Sure," I managed to say weakly.
She took my arm and started to drag me along, and my first step made me falter. I was falling, but Constantine had my arm hooked over his shoulder before I fell. I smiled sheepishly at him as Jasmine did the same thing with my other hand. "Maybe a nap instead?"
Colt chuckled, making my cheeks warm up slightly.
"Sure, kid," Jasmine replied, and we started walking again. Cheering roared all around us, and I felt like a hero, a champion. It fed me happiness, pure bliss, as we struggled our way to the door. The table was gone, moved away by the Elders who now stood around it, staring with grim eyes at me. Not sure if that was a bad thing or good, but once more, I didn't care.
And then it happened.
A loud sound erupted like a pop and my shoulder burst with a shower of pain, fire spreading across my skin, burning through the muscle-filled flesh.
I cried out, and then.... I let go.
The darkness lapped at the farthest corners of my mind, begging me permission to enter. I say, what the hell, why not? And my lights faded.
I was gone.

ooc: I redid the fight cause I really didn't like how it ended. It was crappy and rushed.
Rain
Rain
The Awesominator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2